Pump installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlieSW

I am installing a pump in a class 1 div 2 wet well. I am trying to provide ease of pump removal for maint and or burnout. Here is how I wish to do this. I want to come out of the wet well with the manufacturer's cable via conduit to a junction box (JB). The JB will be provided with terminal strips to transition from hardwired ckts to manufacturer's cable. The JB will be located outside of the haz loc. If I provide an XP JB and seal the ckt off only on the upstream side of the JB, am I in violation of any code? If I seal the ckt off on the down stream side removal of the pump is not as easy. What other concerns should I be aware of?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Let's get something else out of the way first.

If this is the same water treatment facility you have discussed before, I'd like to know what standard was used to determine that the wet well was only Division 2. By their very nature they are not ventilated very well and, unless they are classified under some standard I?m unaware of (there are still plenty I?m unaware of though), I would normally expect an industrial class wet well to be Division 1.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
No apology necessary - but it does definitely affect the installation you have described.

Unfortunately, there is no way to get around the requirement for a boundary seal and it would have to be in the ?downstream? section of the conduit run. See [NEC 2005] Section 501.15(A)(4).

It is possible that judiciously relocating the JB inside the Division 1 location would permit an installation similar to what you described, but I?d need a better picture of the overall installation.

If the pump location were truly Division 2, you wouldn?t need the JB to be XP at all. You would still need a boundary seal; but it would not need to be XP either. (See the last sentence of 50115(B)(2).

Status
Not open for further replies.