Purged and Pressurized Enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

html

Anyone know about NEMA 3R enclosures in a class I div I area and with arcing and sparking devices inside of said enclosure. Are these to be monitered at all times by an attendant? Such as at a Natural Gas Compressor Station? I think they are.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
html said:
Anyone know about NEMA 3R enclosures in a class I div I area and with arcing and sparking devices inside of said enclosure. Are these to be monitered at all times by an attendant? Such as at a Natural Gas Compressor Station? I think they are.

I don't think a NEMA3R enclosure would qualify for purging/pressurization. They generally are not gasketed, and that is one of the requirements.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
petersonra said:
... They generally are not gasketed, and that is one of the requirements.
What Standard does this come from? It is neither an NEC nor NFPA 496 requirement.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
html said:
What you are describing sounds like a ?Type X? system in NFPA 496. There are some very rigorous requirements, but being constantly monitored by an attendant isn?t one of them ? because it isn?t good enough.

bobgorno

rbalex said:
What Standard does this come from? It is neither an NEC nor NFPA 496 requirement.

I wonder if he means more of a practical reason? There is a door gasket on a NEMA 3R CB panel, but the rain lip is not gasketed. Hard to maintain pressurization, but not impossible if you add some filler/gasket/caulk to the gaps.

boater bill

It isn't worth the risk to just put on a gasket and call it a day. Use a Nema 4 or 4X, get a listed Purge controller, bring some air to the unit and keep safe. Eliminate the possibility of human error so you won't be in the newspaper. I have used Type X purge controllers in Cl. 1, div 1 areas. They are easier to work on, maintain and populate than a Nema 7. It is not worth taking shortcuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.