Purple wire nuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What makes purple wire nuts ul listed for AL to CU splices ?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
What makes purple wire nuts ul listed for AL to CU splices ?

What makes anything listed is that it has passed laboratory testing to a standard designed for that application.

Purple means nothing by itself. You need to confirm on the packaging or in documentation from the manufacturer that the item is listed, if you really need to know. The color code is just a convention and not a rule.

I believe the wire nuts you have in mind come with an insulating gel inside to prevent corrosion.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I also believe there is a different alloy inside the nut that allows for expansion and contraction. If it were just Noalox I wouldn't pay $2.00 for a purple wirenut.

kwired

Electron manager
I doubt the color has anything to do with it;)

But at same time color is likely used as a indicator that this likely is one designed for that purpose. Nobody really makes a purple connector not designed for that purpose so this assists in quicker visual identification. If you are totally color blind, it may not mean anything to you.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I doubt the color has anything to do with it;)

But at same time color is likely used as a indicator that this likely is one designed for that purpose. Nobody really makes a purple connector not designed for that purpose so this assists in quicker visual identification. If you are totally color blind, it may not mean anything to you.

Thanks for ruining my vision of a purple wire "Hut".

JAP>

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
I prefer the purple ones with the lug , Alumicon and use the torque screwdriver. Those are approved my most insurance companies in a notice they put out a while back. I don't think that the Insurance co's have backed the Ideal purple twisters like had with alumicon. Alumicon can be a pain to get back into the outlet box.

I have not seen a failure yet with the alumicon ,

Seen the purple twisters fail. I think it is because the copper is in direct contact with the aluminum.

Status
Not open for further replies.