Purpose of grouping service disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
If I have one service with multiple service disconnects then they are required to be grouped. What if one service disconnect other than fire pump or as stated in exceptions in code is far apart and provide label as to its locations like multiple utilites then that does serve purpose if one wants to know another service disconnect location.

Anyone know why service disconnects are required to be grouped? What is the real reason for grouping service disconnects?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
My guess is so that they can easily be accessed during an emergency. On my current project we have 4-4000 amp services with about 23 service disconnects all within the same service room. The distance apart from the two outermost disconnects is about 120' but they're still within the same location.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
My guess is so that they can easily be accessed during an emergency. On my current project we have 4-4000 amp services with about 23 service disconnects all within the same service room. The distance apart from the two outermost disconnects is about 120' but they're still within the same location.
If accessed during emergency is the case then lets say they are in different room far apart why would providing labels at each location like for more than one incoming service would work?

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.