push-in wire connectors (WAGO's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Licensed Residential Electrician
If I had 30 of you, I wouldn’t have to worry about it, but I don’t ..... so I use push on connectors. It may not be faster for you, but for the average guy, it is. And I’ve got a lot of average guys.
Fair enough. These weren't really around when I started.. and man, the lectures I would get about my splices. I thought it was SOO easy when I first started, then the boss comes by and just pulls it apart and starts yelling at me. I endured too much pain and suffering to give up on my wire nuts, lol.

Jerramundi

Occupation
That 10-year thing is probably not a bad idea. Really.
I don't have a crew. I'm a one man show. But if I did.. I would definitely start the guys out with a pair of rocks if I could, lol.
I get the cost saving arguments, but sometimes you gotta invest in the development of your crew.

I was like 90 lbs when I first started. The hacksaw thing built my arm strength and developed my eye for a level cut... and I have greater appreciation for the bandsaw when I use it. The same goes for wire nuts.

bwat

EE
Occupation
EE
I second this.
The biggest difference is, for example, on a back stabbed receptacle there is movement everytime you plug/unplug something. That can cause the wire to move and eventually work loose. With the push-in/Wagos, the Wago is not attached to the receptacle and plugging/unplugging doesn't effect the connection.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I'm a fan of the Wago Lever Nuts:

Cheers, Wayne

yup. and if i don't use those, i use regular wagos.
they are listed for, and work well with stranded wire,
just not finely stranded wire. the wago levers work
on everything. about all i've used for the last ten years.

retirede

I'd disagree about backstabbed receps not being reliable. How many fail compared to the number used? 1 fail out of every 2 million or so installed?

That's super reliable

I think that’s a fair argument.

But would be interesting to know the failure rate on back stabbed receptacles that were regularly subjected to a load of say, 10A or more. That may tell a different story. Of the millions installed, I’d bet 80% of them have nothing more than a lamp if even used at all.

And I’ve never heard of a failure of a properly installed Wago. That doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened!

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I think that’s a fair argument.

But would be interesting to know the failure rate on back stabbed receptacles that were regularly subjected to a load of say, 10A or more. That may tell a different story. Of the millions installed, I’d bet 80% of them have nothing more than a lamp if even used at all.

And I’ve never heard of a failure of a properly installed Wago. That doesn’t mean it hasn’t happened!
I think it would be awesome if we could gather concrete evidences instead of just anecdotal assertions.

I think the load question is fair, too. And I agree most have little to no load on them.

I'd be curious how many were damaged from the front by people yanking or tripping on cords.

All that to say, it is fair to note that Wagos don't get fiddled with, so it's not near enough apples to apples.

I do remember a few years ago, there was a story of a housing complex having multiple issues of overheating or fire related to Ideal In-Sure. I thought it strange that one job site would have so many problems. I immediately dismissed it as user error

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
We have used Wago’s for about a year now and they do save time, your one millisecond or minute adds up if your on a 6,000 sf house. They do make the wires go into the box easier, because you do not have all the wires twisted together. Yes, you do end up carrying different ones on you, but you will get used to it pretty quickly.

I have seen some U-Tube videos from guys across the pond, they do not use wire-nuts, and one put 90 amps though a 12 THHN and the wire-nut and the Wago held up, the plastic burned off of both of them.

“ shoot low boys their riding shetland ponies”

Jerramundi

Occupation
We have used Wago’s for about a year now and they do save time, your one millisecond or minute adds up if your on a 6,000 sf house.
Even if were upwards of 5 seconds difference and a 1,000 splices... you've saved a 1.2 hours. It's money, but I'd hardly call that considerable.
I'd be willing to invest that extra 1.2 hours of labor to get my guys on some solid splicing methods.

I do acknowledge that it depends, as @brantmacga pointed out, on the skill level of your guys. I was thinking about it from my own perspective as someone whose never used anything but wire nuts and takes perfecting his splicing techniques very seriously.

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
Even if were upwards of 5 seconds difference and a 1,000 splices... you've saved a 1.2 hours. It's money, but I'd hardly call that considerable.
I'd be willing to invest that extra 1.2 hours of labor to get my guys on some solid splicing methods.

I do acknowledge that it depends, as @brantmacga pointed out, on the skill level of your guys. I was thinking about it from my own perspective as someone whose never used anything but wire nuts and takes perfecting his splicing techniques very seriously.

But if the splicing holds the same, what is really the difference? It’s all ones preference. Yes you must teach many different splicing methods, Wago’s, wirenut’s, butt, etc... Innovations come around we should take advantage of them. The guys said the same thing about wirenut’s when they came around.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I CAN easily yank a wire out of one of these guys. If you can't give the wire a little tug to test the connection without it breaking, it's a poor connection, IMO.

Maybe try a different brand. I have never ran across one that I could pull off.
I use both wire nuts and wago type connectors. They each serve there purpose.
Wago are great for new rough in. Wire is straight so wagons go right on Then I can power circuits up and test circuit and temps Outlets were need be. Then on Trim just pull one leaver and install pigtail.
Great also for fixture. Instead of hassling with a fixture and trying to line the wires up to spin a connector on, just pull leaver and done.

the stab type sucks won’t use them.

Jerramundi

Occupation
Innovations come around we should take advantage of them. The guys said the same thing about wirenut’s when they came around.
Yea, I've noticed I sound a little bit like an old timer in this thread, lol.
I'm not opposed to exploring new innovations. I've tried these connectors on can lights several times and I've always hated them.

Plus the idea that someone who has no idea how to do a proper splice can now come in and make a connection bothers me. Oh well. I'm sticking with the canvass bag and the wire nuts for now. Maybe one day I'll give these another shot.

McLintock

Occupation
Electrician
Yea, I've noticed I sound a little bit like an old timer in this thread, lol.
I'm not opposed to exploring new innovations. I've tried these connectors on can lights several times and I've always hated them.

Plus the idea that someone who has no idea how to do a proper splice can now come in and make a connection bothers me. Oh well. I'm sticking with the canvass bag and the wire nuts for now. Maybe one day I'll give these another shot.

The ones in the light cans, or the ideal brand do suck, but the Wago brand is far superior to all others out on the market

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Maybe try a different brand. I have never ran across one that I could pull off.
I use both wire nuts and wago type connectors. They each serve there purpose.
Wago are great for new rough in. Wire is straight so wagons go right on Then I can power circuits up and test circuit and temps Outlets were need be. Then on Trim just pull one leaver and install pigtail.
Great also for fixture. Instead of hassling with a fixture and trying to line the wires up to spin a connector on, just pull leaver and done.

the stab type sucks won’t use them.
You install pigtails on the trim-out?
Yikes. You're making up twice

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
You install pigtails on the trim-out?
Yikes. You're making up twice
Unless your going to feed through the receptacle I don't know how you would avoid having a pig tail. How do you think that's making up twice? You got to install what ever is going in that outlet on trim. With the leavers you just pull one lever and slide in. Not any more time consuming then Curling wires or fussing with fixture wires.
Just use the leavers wagos and leave one extra slot for what ever is going to be installed there, easy.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Unless your going to feed through the receptacle I don't know how you would avoid having a pig tail. How do you think that's making up twice? You got to install what ever is going in that outlet on trim. With the leavers you just pull one lever and slide in. Not any more time consuming then Curling wires or fussing with fixture wires.
Just use the leavers wagos and leave one extra slot for what ever is going to be installed there, easy.
If you make up 2/3 on the rough-in, then you make up 2/5 on the finish, that's making up twice and taking longer

If I pigtail something, it's done on the rough-in. That's when you have all your wire clippings to make pigtails, and you're already working with the Wagos or wire nuts. It's a waste of time to split making up into 2 stages

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
If I pigtail something, it's done on the rough-in. That's when you have all your wire clippings to make pigtails, and you're already working with the Wagos or wire nuts. It's a waste of time to split making up into 2 stages
I have a boxes of premade receptacles with tails already on them so that a mute point. To each his own I use to do it that way switch to this.

Status
Not open for further replies.