PV Feeder and Main Power Feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Can a PV system feeder be in the same conduit as a feeder from another source (utility power source). I was not able to locate anything in 690 but I am really not familiar with that article. Both sources are AC

Carultch

Can a PV system feeder be in the same conduit as a feeder from another source (utility power source). I was not able to locate anything in 690 but I am really not familiar with that article. Both sources are AC

One example of what you couldn't group with it in the same wiring structure, is service conductors, and any "supply side tap" conductors. Barring that, does anyone know of any rule that would prohibit you from mixing PV feeder with feeders for other purposes, provided that they are all on the load side of the service disconnecting means?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
One example of what you couldn't group with it in the same wiring structure, is service conductors, and any "supply side tap" conductors. Barring that, does anyone know of any rule that would prohibit you from mixing PV feeder with feeders for other purposes, provided that they are all on the load side of the service disconnecting means?

Thanks I know that service conductors are not allowed (230.7) but these are feeders.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Yes, they can be run in the same conduit. Only DC PV conductors are not allowed to share raceways with other types of systems.

This was clarified over recent code cycles in 690.4(B), with the inclusion of 'non PV' and then the inclusion of 'inverter output circuits'. People were interpreting this section as placing restrictions on AC conductors from inverters, despite there being clear definitions of 'Photovoltaic source circuits and PV output circuits' at the beginning of 690. The code has never intended to treat inverter output circuits as different from any other AC circuits with respect to your question.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Yes, they can be run in the same conduit. Only DC PV conductors are not allowed to share raceways with other types of systems.

This was clarified over recent code cycles in 690.4(B), with the inclusion of 'non PV' and then the inclusion of 'inverter output circuits'. People were interpreting this section as placing restrictions on AC conductors from inverters, despite there being clear definitions of 'Photovoltaic source circuits and PV output circuits' at the beginning of 690. The code has never intended to treat inverter output circuits as different from any other AC circuits with respect to your question.

Thank you. That is what I thought. A friend asked me and I told him I was not up on it but I didn't see any reason they couldn't be in the same conduit. I assume they must be labeled.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Thank you. That is what I thought. A friend asked me and I told him I was not up on it but I didn't see any reason they couldn't be in the same conduit. I assume they must be labeled.
Labelled only to the extent that any inverter output circuits would be labelled. They also do not (usually) constitute a different voltage system requiring wire identification.

Status
Not open for further replies.