PV GE to existing residential GES

Status
Not open for further replies.

romeo

What are installers doing in the case where an existing GES is not compliant with the most resent code? Are installers making the system code compliant? Are inspectors enforcing it?

Imo connecting a pv gec to a existing ges that is not compliant with the most resent code would be creating a violation.

Opinions please

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I have worked for three different companies, and in every one of them we have brought the GES up to code if it is not so already. Inspectors do expect it. In fact I would say that many of them focus almost exclusively on grounding requirements. (I guess they figure that if everything is grounded properly, then other mistakes are less likely to be dangerous.) Also with solar you are creating a new (DC) GES requirement so you'd better be connecting to something adequate for that.

Local interpretations of GES code vary somewhat. Some require two rods and water, although most just require one rod and water. Some want to see gas bonding as well. Some have different requirements about installating of the GEC. But whatever it is, you are responsible for it.

Marvin_Hamon

I agree with jaggedben and would add that my experience has been that if I touch it during the PV installation then I own it and am responsible for bringing it up to code. For instance if I put a PV backfeed breaker in an existing panel and there are existing code issues with that panel then I should be prepared to fix them. I have seen main service switchboards that were in such bad shape code wise that I have done a supply side interconnection just so I don't have to touch them. I do let the owners know about the problems and that they should be fixed. Once the AHJ in onsite everything is fair game if they find existing code violations or if they want something brought up to current code standards. The more that an existing system is modified the better the chance that the AHJ will say bring it all up to current code.

Status
Not open for further replies.