PV Ground Mount

kaveenkw123

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hello All,

Im designing my first ground mount PV system. It’s about 749kW.

While I was exploring racking types; i came across something called “tables”. Typically i found these tables to have a limit of how many panels can go on them.

Can someone please explain how these “tables” come into play in design please.

Is it not possible to install all the panels in one row without sectioning them into “tables”?

Also any design considerations when it comes to choosing potrait vs landscape orientation other than the footprint? I see both options are offered by racking manufacturers.

Thankyou

Hello All,

While I was exploring racking types; i came across something called “tables”. Typically i found these tables to have a limit of how many panels can go on them.

Is it not possible to install all the panels in one row without sectioning them into “tables”?

Also any design considerations when it comes to choosing potrait vs landscape orientation other than the footprint? I see both options are offered by racking manufacturers.

Thankyou
Good question. I remember seeing that term on the plans of systems where I was installing but did not design, so I never put much thought into it. I kinda assumed (again without really thinking about it much) that a "table" was just groups of strings for organizational purposes but maybe it has to do with the racking. WAG but Perhaps a table is a continuous section of racking without gaps, where gap may be needed for thermal expansion or undulating ground?

solarken

NABCEP PVIP
Occupation
Solar Design and Installation Professional
Hello All,

Thankyou
The term refers to a racking design element that physically groups a number of solar modules together and in the same plane. For example, ground mount racking designed with pier spacing and horizontal members and rails to support 3 columns of 4 modules in landscape orientation at 25 degree tilt would be considered a 4 x 3 Table.

I wouldn't say this limits the number of modules, it just makes a design modular, and you can replicate as many tables as needed, and often can even attach adjacent sections together for a continuous larger array, depending on the manufacturer's design.

As far as portrait or landscape for ground mount, I don't know if there is any clear advantage to either and it really comes down to what fits the site and the array size needed, and which racking brands you like.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
If the rows will shade each other then landscape is supposed to do better with the diode arrangements in most modules. IME ground mounts are also more often done with landscape because design is simpler. Horizontal low and high pipes, rails bolted to pipes on vertical slant, modules across rails.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Some I've seen actually pitch and rotate to keep the array at an optimal angle to to sun allowing a smaller footprint to give a more consistent output through the day. Structurally, consideration is given to the pedestal ground base to support the "umbrella" of the table and rotational stresses, that require more strength than a fixed multi-post construction.

Designer101

Occupation
Solar and ESS Designer
Hello All,

Thankyou
I think there is limitation on ground mount racking if you prefer single row
iron ridge does multiple rows in landscape orientation, 3 up, 4 up. 5 up systems
Unirac does multiple rows in portrait orientations,
there are plenty other options as well
Installing in group of tables i think distributes the structural loads uniformly, also there should be limitation based on racking system used how many longer, how much wider based on thickness of steel pipes and Rails and tilt degrees desired.
Also the number of footings can be redued significantly in arranging modules in tables , like 3 up,4 up,5 up system over just 2 up systems, as two up systems would require same number of holes and footings as 5 up systems.