PV syetem in a medical building.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am told by a code expert that you can not install PV solar panel system on a medical building. Do any of you solar experts have that answer? I can't seem to find anything that says you can not use solar power. I do find on the inverter the huge disclaimer to not use this instincly safe area or on medical equipment but nothing I see prohibits the conection at the meter or the main disconect at the power source provided the lugs are rated for the conection.

broadgage

Many inverters have an "anti litigation" warning that they should not be used to supply life support or other critical medical equipment.
IMHO this applies mainly to stand alone inverters as used for back up power, or full time power in off grid homes.
As an a*s* covering excerise, the same warning is placed on grid tie inverters, and in my view is unreasonable and unenforceable.

With a grid tie inverter, the medical equipment is being powered by the grid, not the inverter.
And whilst a pedant could argue that some of the power to the medical equipment is obtained from the inverter, this is IMHO not relevant. Any failure of the inverter would either open the branch circuit breaker, or automaticly dissconect the inverter.

And anyway, whats to stop the building next door putting in grid tied PV, from the same transformer ?
Or another tenant in the same building as the medical facility, perhaps on the same service entrance?

sloar panels used on a doctors office.

sloar panels used on a doctors office.

Thank you senior member for answer my question on a grid tie inverter on a medical building. I was shocked that this company and even the code expert on solar equipment representing the company was very adiment not to use solar on a medical building. Never never take an officials word for it, look it up and prove it first, than take there word for it. I looked forever to find this answer out, somthing that told me I can't do this. I found nothing. But I did find a lot of solar power on hospitals, dentist and doctors offices. Thanks again , Perry.

Status
Not open for further replies.