PV Wire Circular Mils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparks.4.All

Is there an industry stadard for the size of PV Wire? Where can you go to find this? It is not listed in the NEC. I need to do some conduit fill calcs with for PV Cable.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Is there an industry stadard for the size of PV Wire? Where can you go to find this? It is not listed in the NEC. I need to do some conduit fill calcs with for PV Cable.
Measure the diameter of the actual cable and calculate the cross-sectional area (CSA). If it is not round, measure perpendicularly across the widest surface points and calculate cross-sectional area as if that measure were the diameter. If you do not yet have the cable, you may be able to obtain the dimensions off the manufacturer's web site.

CSA = pi ? d? ? 4 = pi ? r?

Last edited:

Zee

Sparks,
No standard size.

I got a spec sheet on the particular brand of PV Wire from my wire distributor. Had all the relevant physical measurements, cmil, etc.

I dug a bit deeper: I found out insulation thickness depends (in part?) on V rating of the wire.
"PV wire can be rated at 600V, 1000V or 2000V. There are separate ratings with increased insulation thickness for each cable."
http://www.renewableenergyworld.com...de-offs-in-pv-systems-wiringcabling-selection

(other interesting facts in there too:
1. not all PV wire is dual layer
2. beware of fine stranded wire from Europe)

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I'm surprised it's not simply a standard wire gauge. PV wire is defined by the insulation. There should be no reason it shouldn't be available in multiple sizes, (although 10 AWG would be what I would expect if there's only one).

For conduit fill you'll need to get the outside diameter. If this isn't available from the manufacturer that doesn't speak too well of them.

Last edited:

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I don't know that I would call it a standard, but #10 is widely used for home runs.

Zee

I think sparks meant to ask if the dimensions of PV Wire are "listed" for each specific gauge in the conduit fill tables of the NEC. (just like THHN, etc)

btw - Even the insulation material and construction varies by manufacturer, some have dual layer some a thicker single layer.

Finally, I assume - but don't know - if several gauges are available. #10 for sure, i could not get #12 from one supplier.

Status
Not open for further replies.