PVC - Cement and Primer

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

iwire said:
I think my time could be better spent planing the raceway to drain away from the building. :)

Not trying to pick bones, but 'away' to where? If one end is in the building - wheres the other? A culvert? (Although I have put in a Christy to do kind of that once for an existing conduit with water issues.)

iwire

Staff member
e57 said:
(Although I have put in a Christy to do kind of that once for an existing conduit with water issues.)

If that is what it takes.

Manholes often provide a place to drain to.

Some of the job specs actually require pitch to underground conduit runs,.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Mark, read my post about the T's, holes, and slots.

We would install these through a 3 x 3 x 3 gravel pit lined with landscape cloth in runs that might dump into a building or piece of equipment.

Very effective solution to drain moisture, be it infiltration or plane jane condensation.

In especially wet ground we would even run lengths of perforated drain tile pitched away from these "French Drains" as we refered to them.

Roger

e57

"french drain"? Choose placement of that poorly and it sounds as if you have just that. More water than you want to get out is getting in.

I do what I can to keep water out - which is why I'll continue on using primer.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
e57 said:
"french drain"? Choose placement of that poorly and it sounds as if you have just that. More water than you want to get out is getting in.

I do what I can to keep water out - which is why I'll continue on using primer.

What ever makes you happy. :grin:

Roger

stickboy1375

Looks like we've seen all kinds of answers on keeping water out, but how do you feel with pool lights and keeping the water IN, do you not agree on priming your pvc then?

quogueelectric

iwire said:
So water is cascading through cemented but not primed joints?

When water is cascading into the gear through the raceways the issue has nothing to do with lack of primer.

Hey you want to use primer, go for it. :)

I think my time could be better spent planing the raceway to drain away from the building. :)
I work with guys who go into manholes without a blower obviously to date not a problem with them. I fish with guys that go offshore 70 miles in a single engine boat. 99 out of 100 times they will not have a problem. getting a blower not a problem climbing into a methane or carbon dioxide filled manhole is a problem. getting back from the canyon with a single engined boat that doesnt work HUGE problem just call me chum. running a 4000 amp service even 1 foot out of the way costs how much in copper 500mcm is 1.57 pounds per foot you do the math. Primer looks better every day.

iwire

Staff member
stickboy1375 said:
Looks like we've seen all kinds of answers on keeping water out, but how do you feel with pool lights and keeping the water IN, do you not agree on priming your pvc then?

I can not comment on that.

I have never had to install pool lights.:smile:

iwire

Staff member
quogueelectric said:
I work with guys who go into manholes without a blower obviously to date not a problem with them. I fish with guys that go offshore 70 miles in a single engine boat. 99 out of 100 times they will not have a problem. getting a blower not a problem climbing into a methane or carbon dioxide filled manhole is a problem. getting back from the canyon with a single engined boat that doesnt work HUGE problem just call me chum. running a 4000 amp service even 1 foot out of the way costs how much in copper 500mcm is 1.57 pounds per foot you do the math. Primer looks better every day.

Now your just being silly.

I also do not believe for a minute that you always use primer but if it makes you feel better to say so who am I to stop you. :D

Last edited:

quogueelectric

primer

primer

I did not say I always use primer. In a known water intrusion area to not use primer is just wreckless in my humble opinion. We are all intitled to our opinoins arent we?

quogueelectric

primer

primer

Murray Electric said:
Primer what is primer ! lol never ever used it
primer is a chemical product used on pvc joints mostly by plumbers to prep the pvc before adding glue assuring a watertight connection. it is usually purple for visibility or clear.

JohnConnolly

The primer softens the PVC to make a "better" connection.

I never use it on electrical. I am SUPPOSED to use it on POCO stuff but I have been gluing PVC since 1972 and I think I know how to do it.

RayS

I will add my 2cents-
the only time you need primer is when you need the joint to hold...

seriously tho, I realize that many do not use primer and have not had any problems, but I think it's cheap insurance, especially in real world slimy conditions.

I do try to keep it from puddling inside the run

quogueelectric said:
primer is a chemical product used on pvc joints mostly by plumbers to prep the pvc before adding glue assuring a watertight connection. it is usually purple for visibility or clear.

I know what primer is it was a joke !

Status
Not open for further replies.