PVC COATED MC TYPE CABLE REQUIREMENTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

TOXICSTUFF

I have searched all over the code for this product. and I cant seem to find any articles relating to this type of cable. Basically in this building the GC is going to pour a 3" concrete topping on top of existing concrete. My question is can this PVC Coated MC cable be buried in this 3"topping? if so, where is it at in the code book?

Thank you

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Based on Southwire's website it would appear it would be o.k. but I would definitely clear such use with the AHJ & Building (structural) inspector.

[h=2]Applications
[/h] Southwire Armorlite ? Type MC Cable - "flame retardant sunlight resistant PVC Jacket" is suitable for use as follows:

• Direct burial applications, installation in concrete and where exposed to cinder fills, strong chlorides, caustic alkalis, or vapors of chlorine or of hydrochloric acids.
  • Branch, feeder and service power distribution in commercial, industrial, institutional, and multi-residential buildings.
  • Power, lighting, control, and signal circuits.
  • Fished or embedded in plaster.
  • Concealed or exposed installations
  • Places of Assembly per NEC 518.4 and theaters per NEC 520.5.
  • As aerial cable on a messenger.
  • Installation in cable tray and approved raceways.
  • Under raised floors for information technology equipment conductors and cables per NEC 645.5(D) & 645.5(D)(2).
  • Class I Div. 2, Class II Div 2, & Class III Div. 1 Hazardous Locations.

TOXICSTUFF

The applicable code sections are 330.10(11) and 330.12(2)

Thank you for your findings. I am aware that this cable is allowed to be used in concrete. My question is how deep must it be concealed in the concrete? would this be in working clearances? Were looking for an arcticle so we can present this to the AHJ.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Although where concrete cover is required rather than optional there are depth numbers.
There may be structural or other reasons not to have the void too close to the concrete surface, but that is not an NEC concern.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
any type MC-HL will work you might want to look at TC-ER as well but I dont know off the top of my head if it will meet code
Type TC (includes TC-ER) is not permitted to be "Installed outside a raceway or cable tray system, except as permitted in 336.10(4) and 336.10(7)".

336.10(4) is messenger-supported outdoors.

336.10(7) applies to industrial establishments (see section for details).

Status
Not open for further replies.