PVC Conduit in Walls

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I used to be a theatrical carpenter and I've drive a lot of drywall screws in my time. Used them to attach PVC to things a few times too, and had to drill pilot holes. Of course in certain circumstances, I'm sure what you describe could happen, but it's a question of probabilities. I think EMT is stronger than PVC is stronger than romex when it comes to protecting against damage from screws. PVC offers some protection, romex essentially none.

Even the 1-1/4" inch rule from the face of framing members is about probabilities. If you are running cables behind where the kitchen cabinets will be hanging don't think they will limit themselves to screws that only penetrate the stud 1-1/4 inches to hang the cabinets, you are better off to avoid this area with your cable as much as possible.

Vinyl siding installers seem to think a 3 inch long nail is better, even when it is driven through 1/2 inch sheathing and nothing else, never understood that one.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Even the 1-1/4" inch rule from the face of framing members is about probabilities. If you are running cables behind where the kitchen cabinets will be hanging don't think they will limit themselves to screws that only penetrate the stud 1-1/4 inches to hang the cabinets, you are better off to avoid this area with your cable as much as possible.

Vinyl siding installers seem to think a 3 inch long nail is better, even when it is driven through 1/2 inch sheathing and nothing else, never understood that one.

Some building codes require roofing and siding nails to penetrate the wood by a certain amount. It's like an inch or so.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
What good does it do to penetrate 3 inches into wood that is only 1/2 inch thick?

All the better to inflict multiple wounds on the backs of electricians working in attics.

Yeah, 3 inches is excessive. I can understand the code requirement of say 1/2 to 1 inch, but more often than not it's much more.

I think the reason is that it's cheaper to only carry one size nail and if sized to the max you will always meet code.

kwired

Electron manager
All the better to inflict multiple wounds on the backs of electricians working in attics.

Yeah, 3 inches is excessive. I can understand the code requirement of say 1/2 to 1 inch, but more often than not it's much more.

I think the reason is that it's cheaper to only carry one size nail and if sized to the max you will always meet code.

But there is no building code enforcement in most areas where I work. Vinyl siding is not too common on new construction anymore, but when it was I remember seeing all these long nails sticking into the wall space and was usually glad the siding was already on before running wiring, otherwise there is a risk that even a hole 1-1/2 inches from edge of stud was getting close to being penetrated by a nail in just the right place.

Status
Not open for further replies.