PVC conduit vs plumbing pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDB3

As has been said, if he doesn't want electrical PVC, walk. At a house I was renting, I was digging to lay a water line & discovered a " 2 inch white pipe" a few inches under ground. It did not make any sense to have a 2" water line there. Owner did most of the work himself.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
So Fred B,
What's the verdict? Are you going to use the white stuff or not? 😄
Never intended to, just trying to find another excuse other than code says so. I also know heat bending of El PVC works way better than trying to do same on the white. White tends to burn more readily with a given amount of heat.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Never intended to, just trying to find another excuse other than code says so. I also know heat bending of El PVC works way better than trying to do same on the white. White tends to burn more readily with a given amount of heat.
First guy who showed me how to bend PVC did it by pouring glue on it and lighting it on fire.

They both scorch the same 😅

norcal

Many decades ago was repairing a sprinkler & there was a pipe in the way, so I cut it out, turns out there was 14/2 UF inside the white PVC, ever since I have had a bad attitude about the use of white PVC underground for electrical, as the color of the pipe should be a clue as to it's use.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
The other thing is El PVC will flatten on compression when same size plumbing PVC will break or crack. Just from experience. CPVC is even worse.

Dzboyce

Occupation
Washington 03 Electrician & plumber
I spent 5 years working for a pump and irrigation company in the 1990's. Held a number of different positions there. One year I was in charge of the parts dept and did all the purchasing of materials, except the center pivot machines. That spring we went thru 52 semi loads of pvc pipe. We bought directly from the factory, not thru a distributor. I got to know the factory rep quite well. And yes, the recipes for pvc pressure pipe, sewer pipe, and conduit are all different.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
Ive been using DWV pipe on some long underground runs due to the high cost of Electrical PVC. This was all USE conductors so no code issue. If you use it, I highly recommend pressure couplings or long line pvc couplings as regular DWV couplings suck and break apart easily.
It’s ok until ditch being dug, operator sees DWV pipe, says we’ll cut it and fix later, oops there are wires inside

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
If someone sees a pipe, then intentionally cuts it, I don’t have much sympathy for them.
Happens frequently when installing large (>6") ductile iron water and sewer mains, especially with the 3/4" poly water service lines, they can be crimped off and repaired. The ductile iron pipes in 20 ft lengths are hard to work around the small lines so its easier to cut and fix.
And the small lines may not be located, so the contractors don't know who or what

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Happens frequently when installing large (>6") ductile iron water and sewer mains, especially with the 3/4" poly water service lines, they can be crimped off and repaired. The ductile iron pipes in 20 ft lengths are hard to work around the small lines so its easier to cut and fix.
And the small lines may not be located, so the contractors don't know who or what
Crimping off conduit containing live wires is a horse of a different color all right.
A very good argument against using poly sleeves instead of PVC.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Many decades ago was repairing a sprinkler & there was a pipe in the way, so I cut it out, turns out there was 14/2 UF inside the white PVC, ever since I have had a bad attitude about the use of white PVC underground for electrical, as the color of the pipe should be a clue as to it's use.
I completed an outdoor patio project this summer.
In a 48" plus deep trench that would end up under a granite slab patio the plumber installed 4" schedule 40 electrical grade PVC to sleeve his gas and water lines through to the remote fire pit and sink and grill areas at a later date.
He said he preferred them for the long 90 sweeps. I was surprised that there is a plumbing product for such an application.
He applied gas and water line marking tape over the conduits but that was it.
The plumbing inspector didn't have an issue with it but the electrical inspector seemed more concerned.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
I completed an outdoor patio project this summer.
In a 48" plus deep trench that would end up under a granite slab patio the plumber installed 4" schedule 40 electrical grade PVC to sleeve his gas and water lines through to the remote fire pit and sink and grill areas at a later date.
He said he preferred them for the long 90 sweeps. I was surprised that there is a plumbing product for such an application.
He applied gas and water line marking tape over the conduits but that was it.
The plumbing inspector didn't have an issue with it but the electrical inspector seemed more concerned.
Just Paint pipe with yellow and blue stripping to identify gas and water. Lol

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
can't think of name of manufacturer but it's noticeably lighter. 3-4"

That could be communications duct, several manufacturers. Used by TELCOs and cable companies with buried cables. There are large rarius sweep ells for it to make pulling easier. You can't bend it.

You could also be talking about drainage pipe which is used to carry water from leaders, footing drains, etc. Regular radius ells, can't bend that stuff either.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.