PVC Duct Banks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Looking at a job where we have a lot of 4" PVC underground. Proably avg of 5 4" per run @ about 500' each.

What are some ways it would be installed that could provide a savings?

Does installing 20' lengths of conduit make sense? There's a labor saving there I'd imagine? Why exactly? Just handling less conduit stick lengths? I was going to say fittings but each stick just glues into each other.

Thanks.

d0nut

Are you trying to save yourself money or save the project money? If you are trying to save the project money, the cost of the conduit is immaterial. The cost of those runs is in the trenching and the conductors.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
20’ sticks of 4” pvc are a bear to handle.
That pipe is 2 lbs per ft.
20 lbs vs 40 lbs doesn’t sound like much to a man sitting behind a desk.
The man in the ditch probably won’t be happy with 20’ sticks.
Been there, done that. Didn’t like it at all.
Now that I don’t have to do it, I won’t spec 20’ lengths unless it’s 2” or smaller.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
20’ sticks of 4” pvc are a bear to handle.
That pipe is 2 lbs per ft.
20 lbs vs 40 lbs doesn’t sound like much to a man sitting behind a desk.
The man in the ditch probably won’t be happy with 20’ sticks.
Been there, done that. Didn’t like it at all.
Now that I don’t have to do it, I won’t spec 20’ lengths unless it’s 2” or smaller.
Thank you, appreciate that.

Amped_up

I don't know your particular situation but if you have the ability to prefab the duct bank in sections off site, it will save you time in the field. A couple guys building the bank inside will go much faster than doing it in the elements especially if its cold. It does require a way to deliver the 10 foot sections to the jobsite. We have a Prefab shop that builds the duct bank with spacers...rebar already run through the corners and secured with tie wire and conduits in place. The field guys put it together like a puzzle. I tried to attach a picture but it wouldn't allow me to.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
I don't know your particular situation but if you have the ability to prefab the duct bank in sections off site, it will save you time in the field. A couple guys building the bank inside will go much faster than doing it in the elements especially if its cold. It does require a way to deliver the 10 foot sections to the jobsite. We have a Prefab shop that builds the duct bank with spacers...rebar already run through the corners and secured with tie wire and conduits in place. The field guys put it together like a puzzle. I tried to attach a picture but it wouldn't allow me to.
Thanks, good thought. Have a picture of that setup?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I don't know your particular situation but if you have the ability to prefab the duct bank in sections off site, it will save you time in the field.
So if you make up a 10' section of say 9 PVC conduits, how to do field join the sections? You can't glue up 9 PVC joints at once while maneuvering the next section into place, I wouldn't think. Is the section made up so that you can place it and then slide each conduit axially a couple inches back and forth to glue up the joints one at a time?

Cheers, Wayne

Amped_up

[QUOTE="wwhitney, post: 2718142, member: 92137". Is the section made up so that you can place it and then slide each conduit axially a couple inches back and forth to glue up the joints one at a time?

Cheers, Wayne[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is correct…we place the prefabbed unit into the trench, then beginning with the bottom conduits which are able to slide back forward they are glued. If you are working with a number of larger conduits that make the 10 foot sections too heavy, the conduits can be slid into place after the duct bank is placed into the trench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.