PVC expansion coupling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good with PVC nice and straight. :cool:
Me being very anal I probably would have bent an offset in the pipe to keep it tight to the wood but that would be a lot of extra work for zero benefit other than to look at it.

Yeah I do prefer tighter to the wood, the lower the profile the better. Looking at it again it seems I did have enough real estate to recess the nose and use a box adapter in the panel, not sure why i didn't. Anyway, the strapping and expansion coupling detail is the important thing.

Carultch

One thing I am not certain of/familiar with is the securing of the PVC to the wall. I know that when using an expansion coupling the PVC needs to be somewhat loosely mounted to the exterior wall so that the expansion joint can move freely.

You are correct that if you rigidly fasten PVC immediately below the expansion joint, you defeat the purpose of even having an expansion joint. That's a common mistake you see in practice, from an installer who doesn't see the issue. You'd either need a strap that allows for axial movement, or you'd need to strap above the expansion joint. If you can find a strap that fits it, you can in concept strap the upper body of the expansion joint as Electrofelon has demonstrated. There isn't a manufacturing standard for these fittings to coincide with the next size up in their outer diameter, so it isn't a guarantee that a strap will fit it.

Generally speaking, plastic PVC straps on PVC will allow axial movement, while metal straps will not. The plastic straps grip it more loosely with a lower friction coefficient, and secure it primarily against lateral movement. It is OK to use metal straps on PVC, as long as it is a section of PVC where you don't need to accommodate axial movement and thermal expansion.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Arlington makes a slip fitting where you actually use two different sized raceways (the larger slips over the smaller) as an expansion fitting.
Sounded interesting, so I looked it up, but it's just a 2-1/2" x 2" PVC reducing male adapter.

The ID of 2-1/2" Schedule 40 PVC is 2.445", so it fits over 2" PVC conduit, which has an OD of 2.375". Schedule 80 won't work for the 2-1/2" sleeve, the ID is too small.

Cheers, Wayne

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sounded interesting, so I looked it up, but it's just a 2-1/2" x 2" PVC reducing male adapter.

The ID of 2-1/2" Schedule 40 PVC is 2.445", so it fits over 2" PVC conduit, which has an OD of 2.375". Schedule 80 won't work for the 2-1/2" sleeve, the ID is too small.

Cheers, Wayne
Good to know, I wasn't sure about the sizes available.

Cheers, Wayne
I often make my own expansion coupling (when using 2") by using a piece of 2 1/2 with a TA and sleeving it over the 2". Usually a piece of strut and a strut strap on the 2 1/2" , the 2" floating. I like this better than those factory "slip riser" fittings because not only is it cheaper, but also having a 2 1/2 TA, you and up without a concentric in some equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.