PVC fitting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

I’m having a brain fart...
Trying to remember the name of a pvc part. In my situation it’s 2” coming down into ground from a meter box.
It’s a collared slip fitting that has a threaded male adapter on the end that goes into the meter. The rest of the part is about 18” long and “slips” over the 2” riser.
It’s like an expansion coupling but has the MA as part of the fitting.
It’s used for a continuous run of pvc conduit from riser (meter) to riser (structure). It allows the conduit to “float” up and down seasonally so that the conduit doesn’t get ripped out of the meter box with the settling of the ground over time.

sw_ross

Thanks you! That’s it. I’m trying to find it on the website of my supply house and they’re search engine is terrible!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thanks you! That’s it. I’m trying to find it on the website of my supply house and they’re search engine is terrible!
You're welcome. That's why we're here. :giggle:

When I now what something looks like, but not what it's called, I'll search images, then click to go to the site.

I started with "pvc conduit slip" and found the pic I posted, and when from there.

sw_ross

1613960283198.jpeg
I also found this product it glues to 2.5” pvc to make the same thing. Might be cheaper route if you already have 2.5” conduit

flashlight

Occupation
Electrician, semi-retired
Excuse my ignorance, I haven't worked with PVC in years, it's all metal where I usually work.

For a horizontal underground run, how often are expansion couplings required ?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Excuse my ignorance, I haven't worked with PVC in years, it's all metal where I usually work.

Good question. We don't use any, but that means little.
IDK how you would get it to slip just at the x coupling every 100-200 feet

eta: They are for exposed work.

Last edited:

paulengr

PVC is flexible enough you just use the elbows. If you are really worried and it’s a true straight shot just use two elbows say every 5-10 lengths if straights.

Part of the Alaska pipeline notice the zig zag:

Those are on purpose for expansion.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Status
Not open for further replies.