Pvc glue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohmhead

Well if one looks at a electrical coupling inside its made for wire pulling it has a smooth ridge it does not connect like a plumbing fitting if one looks at a plumbing coupling its has a square centered ridge its seals better when glued it mates or has more contact with pipe ends .

And most electrical pvc couplings are not long enough from center to outside end they dont give us enough internal contact to me there short and weak if they made pvc couplings longer that would be a bigg advantage in the field .

Dont get me wrong your input on this subject is ok your fine we are just pointing out that different areas of electrical are not the same as others we all have issues and minor steps to do our work .

Take care i only hope a pvc VP might come on and give some input or visit our job site hes more than welcome during our string installing ?

Buck Parrish

Just a side note; I was gluing PVC conduit directly above my 8ft ladder. A fresh glob landed directly in my eye. I felt the cold of it in my eye like when visine hits your eye.
Luckily their was a company across the street my helper use to work for. He had me over their in front of an emergency eye wash with in 2 minutes.
Woww, I was lucky!
Good thing I was not using Gorilla Glue, Yikes - ouch!

mivey

Just a side note; I was gluing PVC conduit directly above my 8ft ladder. A fresh glob landed directly in my eye. I felt the cold of it in my eye like when visine hits your eye.
Luckily their was a company across the street my helper use to work for. He had me over their in front of an emergency eye wash with in 2 minutes.
Woww, I was lucky!
Did it wash right out? Any after-effects?

mtfallsmikey

what is the difference between glue used for pvc water pipe and pvc conduit?
plumbers use cleaners and primers before glueing especially on a pipe that will be pressurized. plus their fittings probably have better quality control as far as fitting tight. I have seen many electrical pvc fittings that are almost impossible to cement together and have a strong bond because they do not "dry fit" very tight.

I don't claim to be a plumber but have done some plumbing mostly for myself and have used cleaner, primer and electrical grade pvc glue on pressurized pipe and it has not leaked after several years.

.02 from the house plumber: PVC plumbing fittings have tapered sockets. Electrical conduit fittings are not tapered. The primer softens the hard smooth coating/finish on the outside of the pipe/fittings, is composed mostly out of MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) for the glue to penetrate and "weld" the fittings together. Gray electrical conduit, as well as Schedule 80 PVC plumbing pipe SHOULD be primed, IMO.

Well if one looks at a electrical coupling inside its made for wire pulling it has a smooth ridge it does not connect like a plumbing fitting if one looks at a plumbing coupling its has a square centered ridge its seals better when glued it mates or has more contact with pipe ends .

And most electrical pvc couplings are not long enough from center to outside end they dont give us enough internal contact to me there short and weak if they made pvc couplings longer that would be a bigg advantage in the field .

Dont get me wrong your input on this subject is ok your fine we are just pointing out that different areas of electrical are not the same as others we all have issues and minor steps to do our work .

I concur.

Woww, I was lucky!

Wear PPE!!!

ohmhead

Well here is what we do to seal conduits during construction until were ready to open up for rigid or emt stub ups to be installed it keeps the water from entering both ends it seals for any concrete entering these plugs are used on all our work so water must enter thur couplings .

a7c13ada.jpg

This is how we know water must be coming thur conduit couplings we glue it the correct way we dont spare the glue and it has primer included you asked for proof here it is .

Now we also duct tape over each conduit look at the weed wacker line this is for locating a conduit thats flush with the finished slab were 1/4 below finish elevation after they trowel the mud this leaves a chatter mark in concrete which we can locate any conduit in seconds and uncover easy.
c7e8b94a.jpg

ohmhead

Well heres another i thought you guys might have not seen this PVC glue and the heat generated at couplings look at the smoke coming off the conduits we at first thought is was the earth or soil but its actually the pipe generating heat i hope you can see the smoke coming off the conduits bad lighting in picture .
100_0230.jpg

Its 29 degs out and we just installed these i take photos for documentation everyday . Just wanted to share this i guess it gets pretty hot inside around couplings when glue is applied .

We never get cold weather so this is rare in our state .

Last edited:

mivey

Well Mivey is this better i took your advice ?
Looks much better. The screen brightness did not do it for me on the first one so I had to save it and juice up the levels and then the steam just popped out. Interesting shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.