Pvc Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was walking through Home Depot the other day and i couldn't believe my eyes,3/4 and 1" EXPANSION FITTINGS! Four years ago i couldn't find these things anywhere, i got looks like i was asking for a unicorn . Has the code changed so that these are a must whenever you come up from the ground to a pool outlet or whatever? My other question is about burial depth. Table 300.5 says residential branch ckts 120 v or less gfci protected and no more than 20 amps 12 inches deep including nonmetallic raceway(pvc). But now in article 680,table 680.10 says nonmetallic raceway(pvc) 18 in.So is it safe to say even though a pool twistlock outlet gfci protected is120v and 20 amps or less in pvc you have to go 18" deep instead of the 12 ".

iwire

Staff member
I don't think the code has changed that much, I think inspectors are looking more closely at PVC installations then they used to.

solo618 said:
I was walking through Home Depot the other day and i couldn't believe my eyes,3/4 and 1" EXPANSION FITTINGS! Four years ago i couldn't find these things anywhere, i got looks like i was asking for a unicorn . Has the code changed so that these are a must whenever you come up from the ground to a pool outlet or whatever?

Does Home Depot not sell 1/2" PVC??? :wink:

jflynn

solo618 said:
I was walking through Home Depot the other day and i couldn't believe my eyes,3/4 and 1" EXPANSION FITTINGS! Four years ago i couldn't find these things anywhere, i got looks like i was asking for a unicorn . Has the code changed so that these are a must whenever you come up from the ground to a pool outlet or whatever? My other question is about burial depth. Table 300.5 says residential branch ckts 120 v or less gfci protected and no more than 20 amps 12 inches deep including nonmetallic raceway(pvc). But now in article 680,table 680.10 says nonmetallic raceway(pvc) 18 in.So is it safe to say even though a pool twistlock outlet gfci protected is120v and 20 amps or less in pvc you have to go 18" deep instead of the 12 ".

make sure you pay attention on installing PVC expansion Fittings,there are more non-compliant installations out there than compliant,you need to follow manufacturers directions...

sc57ford

Don't know if Home Depot sells 1/2" PVC, but Lowes does. Was there over the weekend lookng for a 3/4" elbow, and sure enough, just above the 3/4" was the 1/2" stuff. Not sure why anyone would use it for any power circuits, but it is there.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
sc57ford said:
Don't know if Home Depot sells 1/2" PVC, but Lowes does. Was there over the weekend lookng for a 3/4" elbow, and sure enough, just above the 3/4" was the 1/2" stuff. Not sure why anyone would use it for any power circuits, but it is there.
They do, and for the same reasons one might use 1/2" EMT. After all, 1/2" is good for 9 #12's.

stretch12

no code change just inspectors cracking down had a service upgrade last year that insp required a slip fit for 18 ft of 2 in pvc straight up meter to weatherhead dont get it but i did it

Status
Not open for further replies.