PVC service masts

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Call it what you will. All I know is when I ask for a 2 inch cowboy at the supply counter they know what I’m talking about. That’s all that counts for me.
Your that guy that makes all the young counter help go running for reinforcement,,,, :)

JAP>

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I once had 2-hole PVC straps on a 2" PVC riser for a 200A service. It was in direct sunlight and after 1 year most of the straps snapped off. Fortunately, the one at the top near the weather-head didn't. I went back and replaced them with 2-hole metal straps. I know it's not Code compliant...

What makes you think metal straps with PVC conduit is not code compliant? Matter of fact I don't know anybody who uses those PVC two hole straps. Guaranteed to break.

-Hal

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
What makes you think metal straps with PVC conduit is not code compliant? Matter of fact I don't know anybody who uses those PVC two hole straps. Guaranteed to break.

-Hal
Agreed, but every once in a while you'll get an EI that makes you use them

kwired

Electron manager
This would be a POCO rule. Here, if we use PVC, it can't penetrate the roof or soffit. The point of attachment has to be solidly attached to the framing. Most want eyebolts with nuts & washers on both sides. Some will allow strong lag bolts if there is enough "meat" to screw into.
Sch 40 or 80 depends on POCO requirements. We have some that require 80 and others don't care.
Here they don't really care what you use for the house riser (overhead service riser) but underground emergence as well as entire run up side of a pole they typically want Sch 80. You don't have to actually run it up the pole but must provide it for them so they can run it up when they come to connect it.

kwired

Electron manager
That's correct. UL has stated that the hub is only listed for RMC and IMC. IMO it's ridiculous because 95% of all services around here are either PVC or SE cable into the hub. Around here no one enforces that.
Even an EMT fitting is not listed to install in said hub, yet there are a lot of those around as well.

kwired

Electron manager
I once had 2-hole PVC straps on a 2" PVC riser for a 200A service. It was in direct sunlight and after 1 year most of the straps snapped off. Fortunately, the one at the top near the weather-head didn't. I went back and replaced them with 2-hole metal straps. I know it's not Code compliant but the CMP's making these rules are not out here in the field installing these services (maybe they did at one time and forgot what it's like). I don't know if they realize that we're not installing T-stat wire inside these conduits. :) For the record, I also use 2" cowboys for a 2" PVC riser. I haven't failed an inspection but that doesn't mean I'm right in doing so.
Isn't exactly a code issue it is a listing issue. Only code an inspector can cite is 110.3(B), then has to support it with listing information on whatever is involved. Same with the hubs and not using RMC/IMC in them.

kwired

Electron manager
Agreed, but every once in a while you'll get an EI that makes you use them
Had one once that was *expletive deleted* enough and would reject the metallic straps, yet would let us pass inspection if we had both metallic straps and PVC straps on the conduit, because he knew those PVC straps probably won't hold up in the environment:poop:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't really know if there is truly an issue with PVC in a hub but it is more that UL was never asked to test for it. UL tested the IMVC and Rmc because the manufacturer asked them to do this. My understanding is if UL doesn't get asked to test for certain things then they don't. It may be perfectly fine as many of us believe anyway.

kwired

Electron manager
Never seen one in the wild, but there are PVC meter socket hubs in catalogs. Bolt on to cabinet, glue in socket for the raceway.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Why does a PVC male adapter have to be listed to be used in a meter hub anyway?

It's not used for bonding, and, it doesn't need to be a water tight connection seeing as how the meter base itself is not a water tight enclosure to begin with.

I don't get it.

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager
Why does a PVC male adapter have to be listed to be used in a meter hub anyway?

It's not used for bonding, and, it doesn't need to be a water tight connection seeing as how the meter base itself is not a water tight enclosure to begin with.

I don't get it.

JAP>
Logic says it doesn't. Reality is they never been evaluated, though they very well may pass if they were evaluated.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
The meter socket enclosure is governed by Article 312, and 312.2 says "For enclosures in wet locations, raceways or cables entering
above the level of uninsulated live parts shall use fittings listed for wet locations."

So the top entry needs to use fittings listed for wet locations.

Cheers, Wayne

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
What makes you think metal straps with PVC conduit is not code compliant?
The closest thing I can find is that 352.30 says "PVC conduit shall be . . . fastened so that movement from thermal expansion or contraction is permitted." Do metal and plastic 2 hole straps differ in that regard?

Cheers, Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.