PVC Stub Up Conduit Fill

Status
Not open for further replies.

hill900505

Hello everyone, I have a question about the conduit fill. I have to run some underground circuit conductors and pull them through a 4” PVC stub up under an AC panel where circuit conductors will be terminated. Do I need to meet the conduit fill requirement because of the PVC stub up?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Is the PVC a complete conduit system, or just a sleeve for protection as direct burial conductors emerge from the ground?

david

Is the PVC a complete conduit system, or just a sleeve for protection as direct burial conductors emerge from the ground?

I believe Don was correctly getting at

Comment NEC Handbook

"The maximum fill requirements do not apply to short sections of conduit or tubing used for the physical protection of conductors and cables. Cables are commonly protected from physical damage by conduit or tubing sleeves sized to enable the cable to be passed through with relative ease without injuring or abrading the protective jacket of the cable. The requirement of 300.5(D)(1) regarding physical protection of direct-buried cables and conductors as they emerge from below grade is an example of conduit or tubing being used as a protective sleeve and not as a continuous raceway system per 300.12. However, a fitting is required on the end(s) of the conduit or tubing to protect the conductors or cables from abrasion. [See 300.15(C).] "

hill900505

The underground cables are direct burial not in any conduits and will be pulled through a stub up when they emerge from ground. The other end of the PVC stub up is terminated at the bottom of the AC panel. Does it fall under the rule of protection, therefore conduit fill does not apply?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The underground cables are direct burial not in any conduits and will be pulled through a stub up when they emerge from ground. The other end of the PVC stub up is terminated at the bottom of the AC panel. Does it fall under the rule of protection, therefore conduit fill does not apply?
See Note #2 to Table 1 in Chapter 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.