PVC to RMC changeover allowed in concrete slab?

Status
Not open for further replies.

i made a saw cut along a concrete floor to reconnect 2 boxes because the pipe & wires are broken in the slab.
the boxes are sitting on top of rigid conduit stubbed up from the concrete slab.
can i run pvc in slab between the rigid 90's that stub up and changover with a pvc male connector > rigid coupling > rigid 90 elbow?
could I use aluminum???

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
i made a saw cut along a concrete floor to reconnect 2 boxes because the pipe & wires are broken in the slab.
the boxes are sitting on top of rigid conduit stubbed up from the concrete slab.
can i run pvc in slab between the rigid 90's that stub up and changover with a pvc male connector > rigid coupling > rigid 90 elbow?
could I use aluminum???

Sure, done all the time. Just install a properly sized EGC and use the PVC. Aluminum would be a lot more work and money.

We found places where no couplings were used, wires spliced without boxes, a real nightmare. I cant see how the pvc could be damaged encased in concrete here, appears to be no movement of slab .

kwired

Electron manager
We found places where no couplings were used, wires spliced without boxes, a real nightmare. I cant see how the pvc could be damaged encased in concrete here, appears to be no movement of slab .

If no couplings were use it is not broken, it is improperly installed. If raceway is in the concrete, and concrete is still in original condition, other than continuity of the raceway, there really is not much problem that you would know about. Something had to happen for you to conclude the raceway has a problem and break out the concrete.

If there is enough movement to break RMC why wouldn't it be able to break PVC?

Status
Not open for further replies.