QO 40 Spot Load Center - Can I Run Tandem Breakers? (Square D / Schneider)

MikeHoltLover

Occupation
Engineer
I'm having a hard time finding the designation number of this load center. Is there any way that I can tell if it can run some tandem breakers?

I'm chock full currently and already have a 100amp subpanel off to the side.

I want to tandem up enough of them to gain two spaces in the main panel in order to add a generator breaker and interlock kit.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Based on the dashed lines, that appears to be a 40/80 circuit panel...40 standard breakers or 80 tandem breakers. Square D typically only shows that dashed line in the spaces where tandem breakers are permitted.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
No. Do you see the part number, QOC40UF? That means it is a 40 circuit panel with 40 spaces, so none of the spaces are listed for tandems. If the part number would have been, say, …4060…, then that would mean it has 40 spaces, but 60 circuits, so 20 of them are suitable for tandems. You don’t have that.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
No. Do you see the part number, QOC40UF? That means it is a 40 circuit panel with 40 spaces, so none of the spaces are listed for tandems. If the part number would have been, say, …4060…, then that would mean it has 40 spaces, but 60 circuits, so 20 of them are suitable for tandems. You don’t have that.
That is the cover part number and not the panel part number. The cover number only shows the number of spaces and not the number of circuits.
I do recall that they did use part numbers like you suggest in the past, but CQO140L200PGC is a part number from the current Square D catalog for a 40 space/80 circuit panel.
Not sure what the first "C" in the number indicates.
QO = type QO breakers
1 = single phase
40 = 40 spaces
L = main lugs
200 = 200 amps
P = plug on neutral
G = ground bar included
C = cover included.

Last edited:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
That is the cover part number and not the panel part number. The cover number only shows the number of spaces and not the number of circuits.
I do recall that they did use part numbers like you suggest in the past, but CQO140L200PGC is a part number from the current Square D catalog for a 40 space/80 circuit panel.
Ok, I stand corrected. I didn’t look anything up, I was going by memory. Sorry.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It looks like the options are, in no particular order:

Add a sub-panel, combine a couple of lightly-loaded circuits, or use non-CTL tandems.

I would look into adding a sub-panel for just the genny circuits.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
The actual panel part number might be on the label near the neutral bus in the upper right.

As mentioned the cover number is almost meaningless as it can be used with several different bus assemblies.

I believe at one time the extra C, in the part number, stood for 'consumer product', meaning it was sold through big box stores rather than through a electrical supply house. Same products just different packaging. They also had a BP for blister packed breaker. But it has been 20 years since I cared about their numbering.

MikeHoltLover

Occupation
Engineer
The actual panel part number might be on the label near the neutral bus in the upper right.

As mentioned the cover number is almost meaningless as it can be used with several different bus assemblies.

I believe at one time the extra C, in the part number, stood for 'consumer product', meaning it was sold through big box stores rather than through a electrical supply house. Same products just different packaging. They also had a BP for blister packed breaker. But it has been 20 years since I cared about their numbering.

10-4, I'll try to get in there and take a look... wires are run pretty right against the inside of the box.

Hopefully its a 40/80 or 40/60 like @don_resqcapt19 is alluding to. Would be nice to be able to consolidate some of these breakers.

@LarryFine I do have a sub-panel right next to this box, but was hoping to keep it almost exclusively garage circuits for order. Will likely move 1-2 over there from the main pannel