Quality outdoor LED security lighting?

fastline

Occupation
Engineer
Curious what you guys are having success with? We have to do several LED security floods and I'm still trying to find some longer throw spot type lights as well. I know we have been bit in the past with lights that either don't honor their advertised ratings, or shyt the bed way early. Looking for decent stuff.

delaware74b

For motion lights, I use only the RAB Stealth STL360-based motion lights. You can get them from amazon bundled with their 150-watt (equal) LED PAR38 lamps. About $215 right now, but these are not the cheapo $40 units that die in 6 months or give you issues like false-tripping every time a leaf falls.
I have installed many of these units over the past 20 years and have had only 3 units that dies early in life. All the remaining units have out-lasted anything else I have seen on the market.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
For motion lights, I use only the RAB Stealth STL360-based motion lights. You can get them from amazon bundled with their 150-watt (equal) LED PAR38 lamps. About $215 right now, but these are not the cheapo $40 units that die in 6 months or give you issues like false-tripping every time a leaf falls.
I have installed many of these units over the past 20 years and have had only 3 units that dies early in life. All the remaining units have out-lasted anything else I have seen on the market.
I do recommend RAB products but if purchased from Amazon RAB will not honor the warranty.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with using RAB but when compared to cheap Chinese brands they're very expensive. I've used the cheapo Chinese motion lights on my driveway and it still works after 5.5 years.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
I was using rab motion sensors with par lamp holders and led floods or soots. Now motion sensors have sealed led lamps. I replaced all my par setups with Ring camera lights, they work great. Not sure what rab has now

fastline

Occupation
Engineer
I was going to ask about photo sensors. It appears many RABs don't have them onboard? Common failure and easier to replace as external? When possible, I try to install them under a soffit or something so no subjected to direct light. Seem to live a long life that way.

Is RAB really the only game in town? Gotta admit, they must be running the good chips to hit their advertised lumen/watt numbers! I'm not yet sure which mount will be best for us. Have some going on wood utility poles, some going onto corrugated steel buildings. I've never found a perfect way to mount to a steel building.