Question about a few question on Master Electrician's test...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I failed my masters test last time and am going to be taking it again in the next few days. For the life of me, I cant find definitive answers to the below questions that were similar to the below. Any help would be appreciated!

QUESTION 1)
"A permanently connected pool pump motor is located close to a swimming pool. It needs to be:
1) connected to a GFCI protected circuit
2) grounded to the swimming pool ground grid system
a) only 1 b) only 2 c) both d) neither "
I answered B (both) but cant find out definitively if this is correct regarding the grounding grid for the pool.

QUESTION 2)
"What hazardous location classification would be required for wires running 3 feet in front of a vent for a tank containing a flammable liquid, and what classification for one 15 feet above the same vent.?"
I answered Class 1, Div 1 AND Class 1, Div 2 respectively... Based on 501.15

QUESTION 3)
"If an emergency backup battery reaches 70% of its voltage of 120v, how many minutes must remain for the battery to be compliant with emergency power requirements?" I answered that it has to have a 2 hour full voltage capacity...

QUESTION 4)
On the recent NEC 08 Masters test ? the plan review section asked me to describe the grounding system? I couldn?t find any grounding system in the plans? Does anyone remember this one? Was I supposed to just calculate the grounding requirements? I ran out of time looking through the ?prints??

Thanks in advance!

raider1

Staff member
I failed my masters test last time and am going to be taking it again in the next few days. For the life of me, I cant find definitive answers to the below questions that were similar to the below. Any help would be appreciated!

QUESTION 1)
"A permanently connected pool pump motor is located close to a swimming pool. It needs to be:
1) connected to a GFCI protected circuit
2) grounded to the swimming pool ground grid system
a) only 1 b) only 2 c) both d) neither "
I answered B (both) but cant find out definitively if this is correct regarding the grounding grid for the pool.

Check out 680.22(B)

QUESTION 2)
"What hazardous location classification would be required for wires running 3 feet in front of a vent for a tank containing a flammable liquid, and what classification for one 15 feet above the same vent.?"
I answered Class 1, Div 1 AND Class 1, Div 2 respectively... Based on 501.15

You may also want to check out 515 for bulk storage plants.

QUESTION 3)
"If an emergency backup battery reaches 70% of its voltage of 120v, how many minutes must remain for the battery to be compliant with emergency power requirements?" I answered that it has to have a 2 hour full voltage capacity...

Check out 700.12(F)

QUESTION 4)
On the recent NEC 08 Masters test ? the plan review section asked me to describe the grounding system? I couldn?t find any grounding system in the plans? Does anyone remember this one? Was I supposed to just calculate the grounding requirements? I ran out of time looking through the ?prints??

Thanks in advance!

Not knowing what masters exam you are taking question #4 is impossible to answer.

Chris

Chris, Thanks for the reply...

I'm taking the Pearson Vue 701-National Standard Master Electrician (701-N) exam. The Plan Review secion really got me -- I couldn't make heads or tails of the plans in relation to the question they asked.

Regarding Question #1...
Does 680.22(B) regarding all outlets supplying pool pumps require GFCI's also apply to permenantly wired, non-outlet connected pool pumps? I'm assuming yes, but would like someone else opinion...
680.26(B)(1) talks about conductive pool shell bonding... would this be considered part of the "ground grid system" of the pool as the question asks?

Question #2)
Nec table 515.3 answers this question perfectly under line item "vents"! Thanks!!

Question #3) under 700.12F, are you referring to where it mentions the batt voltage should be at least 87 1/2 or formal for 1 1/2 hours? This seems correct to me.

raider1

Staff member
Regarding Question #1...
Does 680.22(B) regarding all outlets supplying pool pumps require GFCI's also apply to permenantly wired, non-outlet connected pool pumps? I'm assuming yes, but would like someone else opinion...

680.22(B) requires all OUTLETS supplying pool pumps to be GFCI protected. By the definition of "outlet" in Article 100 a hardwired pool pump is connected to an "outlet" which would be the j-box supplying the pump.

680.26(B)(1) talks about conductive pool shell bonding... would this be considered part of the "ground grid system" of the pool as the question asks?

This would be part of the equipotential bonding grid required to limit voltage gradients in the area around the pool.

Question #2)
Nec table 515.3 answers this question perfectly under line item "vents"! Thanks!!

Your welcome.

Question #3) under 700.12F, are you referring to where it mentions the batt voltage should be at least 87 1/2 or formal for 1 1/2 hours? This seems correct to me.

Yes, that is the part I was referencing.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.