Question about residential supply transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bthielen

I don't know which topic to post this under so my apologies if I chose the wrong place.

Last Wednesday evening I was helping my wife with her horses. When we were walking back to the house I was ahead of her as she stayed behind to close up the barn. All of a sudden I noticed a flash of light. My first thought was that I didn't recall that my wife was carrying a flashlight so I glanced back to see if she was and that was the source of the light. When I looked back she told me that she saw an arc on our overhead line from the POCO transformer to our light/meter pole. I told her that maybe the insulation was cracked and so I called the power company to report it. We hadn't been noticing any power issues so I told them that I didn't think it required paying overtime to send someone right away so they could stop out at their next opportunity. The dispatcher told me to contact them if we notice any more issues.

The next day I learned that there had been a meteor that streaked across the sky at about that same time. I guess it was a rather large one. One estimate I heard was about 22" in diameter. This explained a possible source of the flash of light. I decided to let the power company check out my supply line anyway so I didn't call them back to cancel.

On Friday they stopped out and left a message asking me to clear a path through the snow to the power pole so they could get their boom truck back there because they needed to up-size my transformer 25KVA. They would have cleared the path themselves but didn't know what might be damaged under the snow. I agreed to do it for them.

Now that I've bored you all with my novel, here's my question. We installed our new 200A service back in 1994. If the transformer was adequately sized back then, why would it need to be up-sized now? I'm just curious, as I thought it was a bit strange.

Thanks,

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
. . . . If the transformer was adequately sized back then, why would it need to be up-sized now?

apparently it wasn't sized appropriately back then.

someone may have just used what was available that day or happened to already be loaded on a truck. happens around here too.

biggest problem i run into are laterals and drops that are too small for the load, even by POCO standards. customers end up w/ unacceptable VD; after enough fussing, they'll come fix it and the problem goes away.

Status
Not open for further replies.