Question from the NC Meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
According to 2008 NEC, the entire building is a major repair garage under 511.2. Area classification is therefore under 511.3(C)(1) Floor Areas (a) Ventilation provided, and (b) Ventilation not provided. These basically say if ventilated per requirements, the floor area is unclassified, and if not ventilated it is a C1D2 area up to 18" above floor.

So if ventilated the underfloor PVC runs falls back to Table 300.5, and "Under a building" IMO.

But if not ventilated, this takes us to 501.10(A)(1)(a) Exception by way of 501.10(B)(1)(1) C1D2 General "All wiring methods permitted in 501.10(A)":
501.10 Wiring Methods. Wiring methods shall comply with 501.10(A) or (B).

(A) Class 1, Division 1.

(1) General.
In Class 1, Division 1 locations, the wiring methods in (a) through (d) shall be permitted.

(a) Threaded rigid metal conduit or threaded steel intermediate metal conduit.

Exception: Type PVC conduit and Type RTRC conduit shall be permitted where encased in a concrete envelope a minimum of 50 mm (2 in.) thick and provided with not less than 600 mm (24 in.) of cover measured from the top of the conduit to grade. The concrete encasement shall be permitted to be omitted where subject to the provisions of 514.8, Exception No. 2, and 5I5.8(A). Threaded rigid metal conduit or threaded steel intermediate metal conduit shall be used for the last 600 mm (24 in.) of the underground run to emergence or to the point of connection to the aboveground raceway. An equipment grounding conductor shall be included to provide for electrical continuity of the raceway system and for grounding of non-current-carrying metal parts.
This requirement extends into non-service areas of the building unless separated, essentially, by a wall with no openings between areas.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Thank you Smart$.That is my opinion also, I started there at post #12, but after a long day didn't have time to go as far as you. Thanks.

I say this should not apply to a garage. Any engineer worth his salt will reinforce the concrete to handle the appropriate loads.

I am not an electrician but my opinion is never expect any one to do what they should do! That type of gambling never pays off. I tell my techs the code is just the minimum. My goal for them is to find ways of superseding code. You see everyday that things that didn't use to be code are now. So do every thing you can to be the best and reap plenty later. We have had inspectors call us and say your name is on the permit but this is defiantly not your work. You be surprised how easy it is to work with inspectors when they see you do over and beyond almost every time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This question was answered without hesitation by Mark Early and not argued by any other of the 7 panelist. Keep in mind they all could have missed sections of the code that would have changed this response.

The response was T. 300.5- zero clearance under the building. He went on to explain that the reasons for the extra depths outside was the heavy vehicular traffic as well as the weather creating movement in the soil- like frost, etc.

charlie

I have the official ruling from the meeting . .

This question was answered . . . by Mark Early . . . The response was Table 300.5 zero clearance under the building. . .
This is not an official interpretation of Code Making Panel 3 so it is not really an official ruling and carries no weight. However, I agree with Mark and the rest of the panel. Mark is the Electrical Engineering Division Manager, runs the staff at the Code Panel Meetings, and is the Secretary of the Technical Correlating Committee meetings. Additionally, I believe Mark is a EE and PE but I am not sure of either one of those guesses. :)

hardworkingstiff

I thought this was a good question and was wondering what you all thought.

In wiring a new car dealership we installed PVC Schedule 40 conduit under the slab of both the office area and service areas of the dealership. We scratched the PVC into the sand base under the floor slabs but the inspector has required the PVC to be buried 24*inches deep in the service areas as vehicles will "drive over the floor making it a driveway." What is your opinion?

I can understand that opinion and think it can be justified. I will also say I never understood the 2' cover rule for conduits under a concrete driveway.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
This is not an official interpretation of Code Making Panel 3 so it is not really an official ruling and carries no weight. :)

I realize that hence I stated "ruling from the meeting", not from God. :D

Most of these question can never get an official ruling because they are very much open to interpretation.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I can understand that opinion and think it can be justified. I will also say I never understood the 2' cover rule for conduits under a concrete driveway.

I suppose with the heavy weight of tractor trailers and the heaving of the soil from frost etc. the conduits are safer down at 2'. Pot holes can get big at times and then there is Florida --- well you know the rest of the story. :D

Smart $

Esteemed Member
This is not an official interpretation of Code Making Panel 3 so it is not really an official ruling and carries no weight. However, I agree with Mark and the rest of the panel. Mark is the Electrical Engineering Division Manager, runs the staff at the Code Panel Meetings, and is the Secretary of the Technical Correlating Committee meetings. Additionally, I believe Mark is a EE and PE but I am not sure of either one of those guesses. :)
Well, regardless of Mark's credentials, I'm going to have to disagree with his interpretation :grin:

...unless, of course, the building did have the required ventilation for the floor areas to be unclassified ;)

220/221

Is the intent of the 24" under streets, highways, roads etc, because of the heavy loads or because they are dug up and repaired

In my opinion, it is to allow for future resurfacing.

Under the slab, its a good idea to go down at least a few inches to allow for future saw cutting. I learned that the hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.