Question of difference of manufacutured hot tub

Status
Not open for further replies.

snk777

Occupation
engineer
The Sundance Bristol model hot tub has a hardwired connection with GFCI in house electrical box. Other models have a different set up. Why the difference in the models? ALL of this, if purchased, would be done by certified electrician.

Terminator5047

Occupation
Electrician
I’ve never seen a hot tub with gfci built in maybe it’s a 15amp 120volt plug in unit(don’t get this takes forever to heat and won’t get hot enough in winter) for the most part they are 120/240 volt 50 amp

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I think he is saying that this particular hot tub does not have a built-in GFCI and requires one in the house panel supplying the branch circuit.

As long as the hot tub you get is listed and the electrician follows manufacturer instructions I see no problem.

-Hal

kwired

Electron manager
I’ve never seen a hot tub with gfci built in maybe it’s a 15amp 120volt plug in unit(don’t get this takes forever to heat and won’t get hot enough in winter) for the most part they are 120/240 volt 50 amp
I had one those before. It was smaller unit and yes did take long time to heat up, never had issues not getting warm enough in winter - can't stay in it for hours at at time though and really shouldn't anyway.

Did have GFCI in the control panel and 5-15 plug. But to comply with code the receptacle you plug into typically needs GFCI protection anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.