Question on 18AWG CL2 Doorbell Cable and Cat6

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjamesdp

Just built a new house recently and want to add an ethernet drop in my master. I found a nice drop that goes right to the basement. I wanted to know if it's safe under code to run CAT6 CMP, in the same metal conduit as the 18awg CL2 doorbell run. From what I've seen online it looks like it's ok and shouldn't cause much if any interference. Just wanted some a second opinion. Thanks, Tony.

725.139(E) Class 2 or Class 3 Cables with Other Circuit Cables.

Jacketed cables of Class 2 or Class 3 circuits shall be permitted in the same enclosure, cable tray, or raceway with jacketed cables of any of the following:

1) Power-limited fire alarm systems in compliance with Article 760

2) Non-conductive and conductive optical fiber cables incompliance with Article 770

3) Communications circuits in compliance with Article 800

iwire

Staff member
Door bell wiring in pipe. :lol::lol::lol: Chicago rules are hilarious.

As far as the NEC goes you could do that.

However, I suspect in Chicago it requires at least two master electricians to run a new conduit. ;):p

tjamesdp

Thanks! One quick thing, will this cause any significant interference? Or would it only cause slight interference when the doorbell is activated?

fmtjfw

Thanks! One quick thing, will this cause any significant interference? Or would it only cause slight interference when the doorbell is activated?

If you read the experiment towards the end, you will see that a buzzer using a contact to break 24VAC did not have preceptable interference with a telephone talking circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.