Question on Use of Romex Cable Use Permitted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrical, Security, Networks and Everything Else.
Thanks in advance. Planning to rough wire a residential small office that is an existing room possibly 30 years old. It is on the second floor and was built on top of an addition that has flat concrete roof. So the bottom of the office's floor joists are spaced about 2 inches above the concrete. This is a dry location .There are three exterior walls with windows, so not much wall framing to drill and run cables through. There was old romex connecting wall receptacles that was installed beneath the floor joists, lying on the concrete, coming up through the plate and up into the outlet boxes. This old romex was removed. I plan to install new romex NM-B the same way, having it lie on the concrete and run it up through the plate and staple it below each outlet box. So there will be a few romex cables installed in this manner to complete the wiring of the wall receptacles. 2017 NEC article 334.10(A)3 and 334.30(B)(1) seem to permit the installation. Anyone agree, disagree or have any comments?

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Fished in NM doesn’t need to be stapled, besides how would you staple it?

ammklq143

Occupation
Electrician
Are the floor joists accessible or are they concealed? If you have access to them, I would say you need to drill them and run the NM through the holes. If that's not feasible and the cable has to be fished, you should be fine to lay it between the joists and the concrete unsupported.

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrical, Security, Networks and Everything Else.
Are the floor joists accessible or are they concealed? If you have access to them, I would say you need to drill them and run the NM through the holes. If that's not feasible and the cable has to be fished, you should be fine to lay it between the joists and the concrete unsupported.
The floor joists are concealed. The sub floor is right up to the wall studs. I plan to use the old romex to pull the new romex under the joists and up the existing hole in the plate.

Status
Not open for further replies.