Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bang

What's the method some of you use to align multiple conduits for a knockout? Let's say for both even and uneven stubs from a messed up concrete pad pour.....

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What's the method some of you use to align multiple conduits for a knockout? Let's say for both even and uneven stubs from a messed up concrete pad pour.....

Can you tug on the conduit a bit to get it straightened a bit? Your can try a pipe hickey and see if you can kick them over a bit but otherwise just cut the ko's where you need them

Bang

Maybe I started off wrong...let's say that there's a new panel being installed with multiple rows of conduits to be input. What measuring (or any other) method do you use to ensure all conduits are uniform with the knockouts being in line?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
My E/Cs don't seem to worry much. With more than 6 or 8 conduits most of them terminate in a wireway.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
We would often stub all the conduits up to the same height and get a square cut rectangle of cardboard. Hold the cardboard tight to the wall and tap with a hammer above each conduit and use that as a template to put the holes in the panel.

Bang

We would often stub all the conduits up to the same height and get a square cut rectangle of cardboard. Hold the cardboard tight to the wall and tap with a hammer above each conduit and use that as a template to put the holes in the panel.

Understandable, but what if you were installing a panel with multiple conduit runs deriving from the top of this new panel?

yankeeman411

Mount a piece if strut to the wall and straigten the pipes the best u can and strap them in. Then pick up the panel place it on top of the pipes, center and level the panel and trace them out

Bang

Mount a piece if strut to the wall and straigten the pipes the best u can and strap them in. Then pick up the panel place it on top of the pipes, center and level the panel and trace them out

Good idea! I don't have to do this, just picking the brains of you masterminds here. Also wondering if there was an old school way that involved a little math.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Understandable, but what if you were installing a panel with multiple conduit runs deriving from the top of this new panel?

Typically we would punch the holes in the top of the panel, install the panel and start the conduit runs from there. I don't think I have ever run the conduits before installing the panel enclosure.

Normally the back side of all of the conduits would be the same distance off the wall, so we would mark a line for the back side of the conduits on the box, mark our conduit to conduit centers, and then measure out 1/2 of the diameter to get the center of the hole. For conduits 1" and smaller we would use a hole saw and for larger ones a knock out set. If we used the knockout set we would use a hole saw that cuts a hole that has a very tight fit to the KO pull bolt. Much easier to line up the pilot of the hole saw than to try to use an over size hole and try to line up the center marks on the KO.

ADub

Occupation
Estimator/Project Manager
I like a tape measure, a pencil, and a straight edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.