Quick connect devices

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Both Leviton and Hubble have quick connect devices, ie insert wire and close a clamping lever, similar to WAGOS. One advantage is on receptacles there is no exposed terminals. Has anyone installed these, what are your comments and what is the pricing?

Both Leviton and Hubble have quick connect devices, ie insert wire and close a clamping lever, similar to WAGOS. One advantage is on receptacles there is no exposed terminals. Has anyone installed these, what are your comments and what is the pricing?
Ya know, this does seem long over due. Are other industries as bad as electrical with keeping designs as standard from 100 years ago with minimal changes or improvements? I saw a vid on them and they look real nice.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I only can see them working well for switches in new work where the price makes sense and for home owners. The decora switches usually have side wire clamps and those are faster for me than this. It also might help since the terminals are insulated to add a degree of safety for people working with metal boxes on gfi protected non grounded circuits.

4x4dually

Occupation
Electrical Engineer/ Ex-Electrician
The decora switches usually have side wire clamps and those are faster for me than this.
I'm not a decora fan, but the standard recepts with side-wire clamps are my favorite as well. Not sure I can trust any of those new devices just yet. I prefer a screw-down clamp for piece of mind and despise bending hooks.

[derail]
With that design in mind, I have a quick question. IF using the clamping side-wired devices, do any of you use both top entries or both bottom entries as power in and power out? Instead of pig-tailing from the wire-nut and dang sure not sending power back out through the break-off tab, but since both wires are under the same clamp and it's tightened by a screw with pressure, do any of ya'll do that? Is there some hourse crap rule against that? To me it seems superior to a wire nut on a pig tail but I can talk myself into almost anything. :p
[\derail]

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
With that design in mind, I have a quick question. IF using the clamping side-wired devices, do any of you use both top entries or both bottom entries as power in and power out? Instead of pig-tailing from the wire-nut and dang sure not sending power back out through the break-off tab, but since both wires are under the same clamp and it's tightened by a screw with pressure, do any of ya'll do that? Is there some hourse crap rule against that? To me it seems superior to a wire nut on a pig tail but I can talk myself into almost anything. :p
The screws, and tabs, are tested and rated for pass through current. I have no problems using them. Most failures are installer error.

4x4dually

Occupation
The screws, and tabs, are tested and rated for pass through current. I have no problems using them. Most failures are installer error.
Roger that. I still won't use the tabs though. That to me is like having a fuse at every device, rated or not.

4x4dually

Occupation
I have never seen one issue involving the break-away tabs in over 50 years of electrical work.
Good to know. I've always thought of it as taboo to use them for feed-thru....but then again, I was an apprentice under some old codgers and I'm afraid I was susceptible to their opinions. :ROFLMAO:

farmantenna

I saw the Leviton devices in trade magazine so was familiar with them when I noticed them in HD. The 10-pack pricing for receptacles was actually cheaper ($21 vs $24.?) than decora conventional terminals.