Quickbooks question(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlane00

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I am contemplating using Quickbooks (version 2008 Pro) to load material costs (and markups) as well as labor costs by using their payroll application. Right now I use it for everything else (invoicing, checking, bookkeeping, estimating (a little), etc.) and would appreciate hearing from others who:
1) Use QB to track material costs
2) Use QB purchase orders to buy material (rather than just calling supplier with order)
3) Use QB payroll
4) Use QB job-costing so that you can run reports on the profitability of each job (because you have material, labor and overhead all in QB and assigned to each job).

I am trying to determine how much work is involved in the initial QB set-up effort as well as on an ongoing basis, before I take on this task myself.

Thanks.

Tiger Electrical

I haven't done what you want to do. If I were considering it I might enter those materials that are 95% of the business and let the other 5% fall into a misc. category. That might reduce the data entries from 28k to 14k. All of these material prices will need to be continuously updated. Have fun, it'll be quite a project.

Dave

bikeindy

I do everything you are talking about with QB, The nice part about it is you can enter the data as it comes in and then it is always there. You don't have to set up everything before you start. I don't use P.O. #'s I assign a job name but it is the same principle. I can tell you by pulling up a contractor what I have made with them over the year(s) or by the individual jobs for that contractor. I really like the software well worth the price to me.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I use QB Contractors version 08. I do use payroll with the basic support. It is easy to use.

I don't have the job costing set up correctly so I don't use it.

I have on occasion used purchase orders but it really doesn't save any time because you still have to enter or edit the invoice once you get it from the supplier.

Material costs are updated automatically, if you chose, but your sales price must be updated manually. Buying 100 items for $25 at one supplier then buying 1 of same item for $20 later will change your sales price based on the cost of the last entered. You can view the average price of an item but it is not used for calculating sales price.

PM me if you want more.

bradleyelectric

rlane00 said:
I am contemplating using Quickbooks (version 2008 Pro) to load material costs (and markups) as well as labor costs by using their payroll application. Right now I use it for everything else (invoicing, checking, bookkeeping, estimating (a little), etc.) and would appreciate hearing from others who:
1) Use QB to track material costs
2) Use QB purchase orders to buy material (rather than just calling supplier with order)
3) Use QB payroll
4) Use QB job-costing so that you can run reports on the profitability of each job (because you have material, labor and overhead all in QB and assigned to each job).

I am trying to determine how much work is involved in the initial QB set-up effort as well as on an ongoing basis, before I take on this task myself.

Thanks.

I used quickbook payroll till this year. It costs $250/yr. Now I used Medlin. It's $50/yr for basically the same thing. My book keeper loads the info and does the job costing. Without the QB payroll it just wont tell you the tax info. but we already get that from Medlin. I developed my own PO's for material purchases. That may change.

KLB

I use QB Contractor 08 which has a conversion tool that will transfer your data from whatever program you're using now so setup is a cake walk.

I track some materials, job costs and do my payroll with it (payroll subscription for greater than 3 employees is $250 a year I think.)

Job costing reports depend on how accurately you track your employee hours and materials, permits, etc. In order to get accurate numbers you have to take the time to input them during the month. To most people thats 1 or 2 extra steps. In other words, garbage in: garbage out.

When done properly the job costing in Contractor 08 is fabulous. You can run any report based on how you'd like to see your profitability or loss or how you're doing at anytime from estimate through your final billing.

Coming from the accounting program "Peachtree Complete", QB is miles better.

rlane00

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Thanks for all the input. I know that it will be a fairly involved process, but fortunately it will be my wife doing most of the work so I won't have to worry. :confused: Good thing my wife doesn't know about this forum!

It would sure be nice if there was a "standard" QB item list for electrical contractors that already had:
1) a hierarchical structure (so it's easy to find material)
2) item descriptions that matched what the guys in the field write on paper, and is also easy for the admin to understand so she can find it on the item list

Of course the prices would have to change, but it would be better than starting from scratch.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Try looking at the National Estimator for the structure & description you want. That progam will integrate somewhat with QB.

You already don't pay your wife enough. This should require a least another night or two of "wining & dining" just ease to your conscience.

Status
Not open for further replies.