Quote turnaround

Status
Not open for further replies.

T74

What do people consider a professional amount time to get a quote back to somebody. Had a new contractor send me drawings. wondering if there is a best practice time line??

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
No idea on larger projects. I never got involved on any of them. I always tried to get quotes out within the week at most. I would sometimes leave a quote on leaving the house on smaller jobs. Depended on whether I had to call around about prices and availability. If I were quoting jobs today, I would make every effort to do same day or following day, if possible. Fickle market, fickle customers. Sometimes the first one to show up gets the prize.

Reactions: T74

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Is that duration, assuming you're putting in 3 full 8-hour days of billable work, or spending 2-3 full days doing the estimate? The latter seems a might excessive.
Calendar time.

I can usually estimate about $10,000 worth of work per hour. So if I had 5 town homes and each unit came to about $8,000 I would figure about 4 hours what's the best of meeting for the entire $40,000 project

But to get pricing on service gear, and maybe some other incidentals and then do a take off and calculate it, I need 3 days to squeeze in the time

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Calendar time.

I can usually estimate about $10,000 worth of work per hour. So if I had 5 town homes and each unit came to about $8,000 I would figure about 4 hours what's the best of meeting for the entire $40,000 project

But to get pricing on service gear, and maybe some other incidentals and then do a take off and calculate it, I need 3 days to squeeze in the time
That all sounds reasonable.

JohnE

It depends on the circumstances. If it's a regular customer of mine they may need it for an upcoming spec project and a week or more is acceptable. Other times they are bidding against another GC and need it in a few days. I've turned a few around recently in a couple of hours, but it hit my inbox at the right time. For dealing with a new customer directly, I'd want to get it out within 2 days.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't know how you guys are getting pricing back from your suppliers that fast. I have to beg and plead to get numbers back in a couple weeks for some things.

Commercial here, anything 400A and smaller I can typically turn in three days, pending on what is needed quoted (lights and gear). If it is a larger job of 1000A or bigger, typically 5-7 days. Most of the time the GC I work with allows me 10-15 days, but that is a good relationship not all are like that. I don't do residential, but once I start a system I never stop until I am complete with the full component (ie gear, lighting, power, hvac, site, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.