Raceway Bends over 360

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
It's also unrealistic to think that you'd have to wait 11 months after a business was up and running to get a call telling that you did something wrong.

JAP>

You must live in a fantasy world.:p I have been on school jobs, for example, where the work was done in phases over many months and the engineering inspection only happens once at the end. It isn't that there were no inspections prior, just not the engineering inspection.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
You must live in a fantasy world.:p I have been on school jobs, for example, where the work was done in phases over many months and the engineering inspection only happens once at the end. It isn't that there were no inspections prior, just not the engineering inspection.

I must,seeing as how I've never had to go back to one of my projects a year or more after I finished the job to fix a code violation I wasn't made aware of before I left.

JAP>

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I must,seeing as how I've never had to go back to one of my projects a year or more after I finished the job to fix a code violation I wasn't made aware of before I left.

JAP>
It's not that way at airports. The NEC is used as a reference, but it is not the standard that is enforced. It's a federal job and they have their own specs. I think the OP is in a situation where a new referee is calling a foul that was not called in the past.

Strathead

Occupation
It's not that way at airports. The NEC is used as a reference, but it is not the standard that is enforced. It's a federal job and they have their own specs. I think the OP is in a situation where a new referee is calling a foul that was not called in the past.

Every Federal job I have seen, only about 15-20, is covered by the NEC jurisdiction. 90.2 of the NEC also states that it covers these installations in the United States. The specifications are clarifications and "in addition to" requirements, not authorization to violate code. I have see this code violated at least dozens of times and not get cited. I have only seen it cited once. It is another one of those, "You've got to be kidding me!" codes but if you get busted, bite the bullet and fix it.

Strathead

Occupation
The NFPA is a private organization and cannot tell us where the NEC applies. It only applies to areas that have adopted it.

I am also curious, has anyone here EVER found a jurisdiction described in 90.2 that doesn't adopt the NEC? And I don't mean just the current version, but some version.

mgookin

I am also curious, has anyone here EVER found a jurisdiction described in 90.2 that doesn't adopt the NEC? And I don't mean just the current version, but some version.

Yes, plenty. Many places (in the US) have no bldg dept at all and no codes to follow. No permits at all. No inspections.

iwire

Staff member

There is a lot of wiggle room there and I can assure you the NEC is ignored when doing secure facilities for the GSA. Welded raceways, raceways with insulting joints in them are a couple I can remember.

From your link
Legally, however, buildings built on federal property are exempt from state and local building codes. Notwithstanding, it is GSA’s policy to comply with state and local building codes to the maximum extent practicable.

Status
Not open for further replies.