Raceway Question from exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kam1

The question I had come up in a test that I wasn't sure about was:

What is the minimum conductor size you can put in a raceway?

I would greatly appreciate it if someone can reference the book or give a code that would comply with this question.

Thanks in advance.

pete m.

The question I had come up in a test that I wasn't sure about was:

What is the minimum conductor size you can put in a raceway?

I would greatly appreciate it if someone can reference the book or give a code that would comply with this question.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know if there is a "right" answer to the question. Depending on the application you could have 24awg conductors or smaller (if they are even made) installed in raceways.

Are you positive that is how the question was worded?

Pete

jumper

I don't know if there is a "right" answer to the question. Depending on the application you could have 24awg conductors or smaller (if they are even made) installed in raceways.

Are you positive that is how the question was worded?

Pete

Yeah, I was thinking that maybe the question was really geared to what is the minimum size for a branch circuit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the test is based in chicago they may required 20 amp but the question stinks because there can be control circuits much smaller.

Kam1

Yes it was this question. From what i remember the answers were:

A. 12 AWG
B. 14 AWG
C. 18 AWG
D. 24 AWG (something around there)

Yes this was in the Chicago test. I have looked through out the book and have not found the exact answer.
I was thinking 18 AWG, but I'm not sure. :?

resistance

Some of these test writers, and test prep books need a head check!!! I agree with the above responses.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
I worked a few years doing lots of industrial projects. We ran #16 all the time in conduits, panduit & gutters. Sometimes ran smaller wires or cables for specific applications.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes it was this question. From what i remember the answers were:

A. 12 AWG
B. 14 AWG
C. 18 AWG
D. 24 AWG (something around there)

Yes this was in the Chicago test. I have looked through out the book and have not found the exact answer.
I was thinking 18 AWG, but I'm not sure. :?

So if this is the actual question then where would you find any of these sizes in the codebook?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Could they be expecting the answer to be in the Chicago Code 18-27-310.5 or one of its exceptions (i.e. Exception 9)?

Status
Not open for further replies.