Raceway used as EGC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZDoug

I remember reading about this long ago but can't remember where or the exact details. But I think it was that couplings were indeed tapered many years ago but manufacturers figured out that making them with straight threads is much cheaper. So as usual, when in doubt follow the money.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
This implies that there is a limit on a 250.122 EGC and/or that it should be upsized after a certain point. Where is this stated other than the generic catch all about having an efffective low impedence fault path (or whatever the actuall wording is - its still raining and the codebook is still out in the truck :) )

Does anyone know how/why it was decided that female rigid threads would not be tapered?

it's not a question of taper as much as class of fit. if you take a condulet, it has a tapered fitting,
but it's looser than a plumbing fitting.

male npt threads are all cut to the same pitch diameter. if you use a go/nogo thread gauge,
it'll have two ground marks on it. hand tight, the end of the pipe needs to be between those
two marks.

same with female fittings, except that with the electrical fittings, the thread doesn't have any
taper, but when you screw in a go/nogo gauge, it needs to bottom out between the witness marks.
either with a tapered or straight female thread.

a plumbing fitting is designed to go on hand tight about two turns, so you can have a WOG tight
fitting with several turns still left for orientation, or total length.

not that any pipe factory in china actually possesses a set of guages to set their equipment to. :rant::rant::rant:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
same with female fittings, except that with the electrical fittings, the thread doesn't have any
taper...
Other than RMC couplings, I don't know of any fittings with non-tapered female threads.

(Well, perhaps locknuts... :roll:)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
  1. The raceway should be listed as EGC. Not all raceways are.
  2. The manufacturers installation instructions should be followed, since the UL testing of EGC suitability will make sure that the installation instructions will contain all necessary instructions to comply with the EGC requirements. (Ex. RC conduit of each size have a length and current limitation for EGC.)
What metallic raceway that is permitted by the NEC is not suitable for use as an EGC?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.