Racking of 800 amp Circuit Breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake5265

Hi guys,
When Racking a circuit breaker after it is racked and you close the door to the cubicle do you still need the 40 calorie suit to operate the circuit breaker?

zog

Hi guys,
When Racking a circuit breaker after it is racked and you close the door to the cubicle do you still need the 40 calorie suit to operate the circuit breaker?

Depends if you are using the tables or have done an arc flash study with a calulated Ei. But unless you have arc rated switchgear there is still an arc flash hazard.

Or you can make your life easier and use remote racking and switching.

Drake5265

It is not Arc rated switch gear I would love to have a remote racking system but the company I work for are cheapskates lol, I'm not supposed to rack circuit breakers without a 40 calorie suit anyways so i have to call in our testing firm which has the proper equipment do this. Is it also possible to have it arc (which you and I both know theres potential for this to happen) if i had to reset one of these circuit breakers if it wwere to trip. This is all for sake of having ammunition to get my employers to purchase 2 40 calorie suits (never work on live equipment without a partner). Thank you Zog.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
It is not Arc rated switch gear I would love to have a remote racking system but the company I work for are cheapskates lol, I'm not supposed to rack circuit breakers without a 40 calorie suit anyways so i have to call in our testing firm which has the proper equipment do this. Is it also possible to have it arc (which you and I both know theres potential for this to happen) if i had to reset one of these circuit breakers if it wwere to trip. This is all for sake of having ammunition to get my employers to purchase 2 40 calorie suits (never work on live equipment without a partner). Thank you Zog.

Why would you want a second suit? No reason for both people to be in the danger zone IMO.

zog

This is True company policy says that we should have a 2nd person to be like a fire watcher incase of an accident.

While it is a common company policy, there are no OSHA rules for a 2nd person until you get >600V. However, there is a requirement that a CPR trained person needs to be available so they can get there within 4 minutes, which can be difficult in larger plants that have first responders if your switchgear is in a vault or rooftop sub, so many companies will require a 2nd person.

I do agree with Bob that the 2nd person should nto be in PPE, they should be outside the LAB and AFB and need to know how to denergize the equipment if something bad should happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.