Radiant heat panel with thermostat on wall above shower

Status
Not open for further replies.

jljohn00

Occupation
Engineering
Our bathroom is 1940's vintage and the ceiling is lowered over the shower and bath area. We want to put a radiant heater and thermostat on the wall above the shower, with the electrical runs in the empty space over the shower. No electrical will be inside of the shower area for obvious reasons.

The heater is a "Comfort Cove" model, like this

Here is a photo of the space:

For code, is that wall above the shower an okay place to put both the heater and thermostat?

Thanks!

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
For code, is that wall above the shower an okay place to put both the heater and thermostat?

I'm not seeing that this product is listed for wet locations so I would have to say absolutely not. Matter of fact there is not one picture of a shower or bath installation in the literature.

-Hal

jljohn00

Occupation
Engineering
Could we break this question down into smaller pieces?

1. Assuming that both the thermostat and heater unit are both IP65 rated, is that location code compliant?

Is it okay to have the thermostat that high up off the floor? We plan to set it to around 74F and forget about it. My other half likes the bathroom warm 24/7.

2. Is that location considered "wet" by code? It does get condensation after a shower, but so does the whole bathroom. The bathroom already has a high CFM fan installed that vents outside.

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I'm not seeing that this product is listed for wet locations so I would have to say absolutely not. Matter of fact there is not one picture of a shower or bath installation in the literature.

-Hal
They do show bathroom installation, just not on a shower or bath wall.
I have not been able to find actual UL listing information on the website.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Our bathroom is 1940's vintage and the ceiling is lowered over the shower and bath area. We want to put a radiant heater and thermostat on the wall above the shower, with the electrical runs in the empty space over the shower. No electrical will be inside of the shower area for obvious reasons.

The heater is a "Comfort Cove" model, like this

Here is a photo of the space:

Thanks!

You have at least 2 things against suggested installation, in addition listing requirement. While not directly applicable I would suggest guidance from luminaries section as to the wet area for a tub or shower and suggest it is still valid guide for the proposed installation at least for guidance.The shower design (with dropped down ceiling) is such that the ceiling is within the normal splash/wet zone of the shower (unless only persons less than 4ft tall are using it (but if that person is under 12/13 years old it could still be in the splash zone).
Unless using the wireless thermostat option (mfg shows a optional wireless thermostate), that will put "electrical" (per your wording) directly within the shower.
Looking at the product design the electrical connections are made up within a non water tight box assembly that is part of the unit very much like found on a baseboard heater, and for obvious reason to allow for heat dissipation. Again putting "electrical" within the shower splash/wet zone.
If product is not listed for wet area I would say it is a no go.
I would however suggest a Article 424 section IX style of heating unit as defined in 424.91. I know they make this type of product (I've used them) that is listed for within the shower space rated for wet/damp areas. It will disappear almost as part of ceiling or wall and can be actually painted or other mfg. allowed wall/ceiling coverings can be applied. Can even get with a mirror surface.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Could we break this question down into smaller pieces?

2. Is that location considered "wet" by code? It does get condensation after a shower, but so does the whole bathroom. The bathroom already has a high CFM fan installed that vents outside.
See post #3, the definition is in Article 100.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
They do show bathroom installation, just not on a shower or bath wall.
I have not been able to find actual UL listing information on the website.
At the very bottom of the page is a UL symbol

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
If you are installing the heater facing out into the bath area on that short drop down then I think you are fine. It is not a damp nor wet location IMO.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Yes, it would be above the shower curtain on the short wall, facing out.
I think the T-stat up high is a mistake especially mounted near the heater. You may have to play with the T-Stat to get the temp you want and you don't want the heat blowing on the stat either.

Heat does rise

jljohn00

Occupation
Engineering
I think the T-stat up high is a mistake especially mounted near the heater. You may have to play with the T-Stat to get the temp you want and you don't want the heat blowing on the stat either.

Heat does rise
Thanks, I'll try to find a different location for the t-stat. Even if it's code compliant, I could see that being a turn off to a prospective buyer or tenant in the future.

The t-stat location is tricky because it's a radiant heater. If it's on the opposite wall, the heat may directly radiate onto it. Same wall somewhere lower would be ideal, but the shower and a built-in cabinet take up all usable wall space.

I emailed a couple manufacturers of these types of heater units for feedback on the location, just to be safe before starting the permitting and installation. They are UL listed.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The t-stat location is tricky because it's a radiant heater. If it's on the opposite wall, the heat may directly radiate onto it. Same wall somewhere lower would be ideal, but the shower and a built-in cabinet take up all usable wall space.
Technically speaking, radiant heat warms up people and objects, not air.

Status
Not open for further replies.