Raintight connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmeek

Occupation
Electrician
How come when you call suppliers for raintight fittings , they still give you the old style compression type when the code calls for raintight. Do they even make a raintight connector UL listed. Are the inspectors enforcing this.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
They make them but many supply companies have no idea that there is a difference between compression and RT fittings. I have done jobs in the past with compression simple because I thought they were RT fittings- didn't know there was a difference.

I also don't think most inspectors know the difference or don't take them apart to find out.

I also have never had a problem with the compression ones outdoor-- that I know about. :grin:

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Our supply houses know the difference around here. The cost is a HUGE difference. The raintight conn/coup from one supply house have a bluish green tint to them, so there's no way you can confuse them with regular compression fittings.

iwire

Staff member
We have to ask for 'raintight compression' or we will just get standard compression. Which makes sense considering the price difference.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is there really a big difference in the manufacturing of the two types? I thought that they were pretty similar so why the big price difference? Supply and demand?

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
Around here, many people called any compression fittings raintight. Then when specific raintight fittings came along it caused some confusion. Most inspectors here look for them & ask about them on outdoor jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.