Range Hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Occupation
Inspector
Just to refresh myself, a hard wired range hood needs to have a service disconnect, switch, within sight or lock on the breaker.

Thanks

Norb

allenwayne

Re: Range Hood

I guess that depends on how and the application.We bid a HR to each hood /micro circuit stubbed on rough in and when cabinets are installed and we return for final trim.We set a wire mold box in the cabinet and if a hood an appliance tail is installed so that is the means of disc
If a micro is installed same senario.If trim guys justs hard wires the hood yes a lock out is required but we frown on hard wiring.Better practice to bring the stub out into the cabinet and install a single 20 amp receotacle

milwaukeesteve

422.31(A) under 1/8 hp the breaker shall be permitted to be the disconnect

422.31(B) over 1/8hp the breaker shall be permitted provided: within sight OR is capable of being locked in the open position.

For a standard range hood, under 1/8 hp, direct wiring is fine without a true disconnect, since the breaker itself can provide sufficient disconnecting means. This is true for range hood on its own circuit, or on a general purpose circuit, since it just says breaker.

Note: do not put hood on the Small Appliance circuit, that would be in violation 210.52 (B)(2)

volt101

As a side note, if you decide to put in a recepacle for the hood, it has to be a dedicated receptacle that is supplied by an individual branch circuit.

Jim

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

As a side note, if you decide to put in a recepacle for the hood, it has to be a dedicated receptacle that is supplied by an individual branch circuit.
Why? Couldn't this be supplied by a general purpose circuit if the appliance fastened in place is 50% or less than the ampacity of the circuit?

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by infinity:
Why? Couldn't this be supplied by a general purpose circuit if the appliance fastened in place is 50% or less than the ampacity of the circuit?
My 2005 is in the truck but a new section was added allowing hoods to be cord and plug connected if you choose to install a plug for it it must be a dedicated circuit.

The NEC is assuming someone will replace the hood with a microwave hood combo and is making design decisions for us. :mad:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

OK Bob, I'll cut you some slack for not having the book in front of you. I've got it 422.16 (4)(5) thanks. I keep missing those code changes. I've got to get me that Mike Holt Illustrated Changes to the NEC!

Occupation
Inspector

Thanks to all who have looked and posted. I had a customer change out a range hood and the old line in would not reach, so I set a switch and ran new romex to the hood. I figured a switch would be appropriate.

Norb

electricmanscott

I have never seen a disconnect switch for a range hood. In Mike Holts understanding the NEC it shows the unit switch with a marked off postion as meeting the disconnect requirement.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by volt101:
I would like to mention that blanket statements aren't always accurate, because not all localities are using the same code version.

For example, here in Va., we finally adopted the '99 NEC on 10/1/03. I have a feeling we'll be here for a while. 2002? 2005? Maybe someday.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Speaking of changes, I was chatting with an inspector today, and he gave me a heads up that from now on, "washers are required by the 2005 to have a single receptacle."

I said, "I don't think so. Where is that?"
He said, "210.11. It says 'no other outlets' and a duplex is two outlets."
I whipped out the code, showed him the lack of a change bar beside the text, and then showed him the bathroom-related code right below it, and had an extensive discussion about it.

I tried my best to brainwash him straight again. :(

[ July 15, 2005, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

allenwayne

Even still if hard wired,you still have to have a breaker lock out if the panel is not within sight.Off the top of my head I think 110 .26 correct me if I applied the incorect article :eek:
We must also have a dedicated circuit for a micro/hood recep but the ahj`s allow us to 1st hit an ignitor circuit for a gas range then hit the hood/micro at that point duplexes are acceptable for both ;)

volt101

Larryfine, you are right about the blanket statements. The next statement just might prove that!

Allenwayne, what code are you on?

Jim

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by LarryFine:
I would like to mention that blanket statements aren't always accurate, because not all localities are using the same code version.
That is true.

Basically the unofficial way it plays out here on this forum is answers are based on the latest edition of the NEC unless otherwise noted.

If someone is in an area that is still on 1999 NEC they should say so in their post if they want the most accurate answers.

Beyond what year NEC someone may be on there are almost always local amendments to consider and a few areas that do not use the NEC at all like Chicago and New York city.

hurk27

By George: said, "I don't think so. Where is that?"
He said, "210.11. It says 'no other outlets' and a duplex is two outlets."
I whipped out the code, showed him the lack of a change bar beside the text, and then showed him the bathroom-related code right below it, and had an extensive discussion about it.
George

210.52(F) Laundry Areas. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle outlet shall be installed for the laundry.
Requires us to install "at least one" receptacle outlet

210.11(C)(2) Laundry Branch Circuits. In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one additional 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply the laundry receptacle outlet (s) required by 210.52(F). This circuit shall have no other outlets.
The (S) after receptacle outlet clearly intends to allow more than one receptacle on this circuit as there is many times more than one piece of laundry equipment.

Outlet. A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.
An outlet can be a light outlet, a juntion box, smoke detector outlet.....

A outlet is not how many points of contact there is, a light fixture could have many lamp sockets on it but it is still one outlet, a receptacle can have 3 points of contact but it is still a receptacle in a outlet box.

Receptacle. A receptacle is a contact device installed at the outlet for the connection of an attachment plug. A single receptacle is a single contact device with no other contact device on the same yoke. A multiple receptacle is two or more contact devices on the same yoke.
Right from the NEC,
A receptacle is a contact device installed at the outlet
Receptacle Outlet. An outlet where one or more receptacles are installed .
So what is an outlet? A box that feeds the device?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Originally posted by hurk27:
Outlet. A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.
An outlet can be a light outlet, a juntion box, smoke detector outlet.....

A outlet is not how many points of contact there is, a light fixture could have many lamp sockets on it but it is still one outlet, a receptacle can have 3 points of contact but it is still a receptacle in a outlet box.

So what is an outlet? A box that feeds the device?
Correct. An outlet is an access point, not a device.

Edited because it's late

[ July 15, 2005, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: LarryFine ]

Status
Not open for further replies.