Range Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

haskindm

electricmanscott said:
This is why I just run a #6 and install a 50 amp breaker and receptacle...too much reading otherwise. :D

That is fine in the "real world" and probably provides a better installation for your customer. But what is the correct answer on an examination that asks "what is the minimum ampacity of a conductor installed for a 12KW range?" You should be aware when you are doing more than the minimum required.

nyerinfl

haskindm said:
...But what is the correct answer on an examination that asks "what is the minimum ampacity of a conductor installed for a 12KW range?" ...

8000/240 = 33.3A

I realize you're not asking, I'm just providing an answer for anyone wondering.

gndrod

nyerinfl said:
8000/240 = 33.3A

I realize you're not asking, I'm just providing an answer for anyone wondering.

hi nyerinfl,

There may be duplicity in this answer due to not knowing the what class course was being tested. One may ask is this a theory or code test? The code answer for a 12kW Range would be ....40amps minimum rating per [210.19(A)(3) even though the actual Table 220.55 selected DF figure from column C would be based on the 8kW calculated allowed figure.
In a real world, the 12 kW NPR figure would of course be 50amps.

Using the 2008 NEC additions to 422.10 presented in grey "and branch-circuit conductors"..."ranges and"..."and shall be sized in accordance with 210.19(A)(3)" implicates a more defined indication for the Part II Installatiion.

'Installation' is the key in this Part II and mentions "in accordance with Table 220.55" seems profound in including the adjusted load calculation for determining the overall service capacity for conductor sizing. This is far from being congruent with changing 422.10(A) for sizing the conductor specifically. Again it seems not too clear for an interpretation of the real change intent. This may be another possible challenge for defining range overall load calculation factoring and conductor sizing in a 2011 proposal. rbj

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.