Rapid Shutdown using E-stop and Electrically Operated Breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Can you use a dedicated E-Stop (Properly labeled) located outside at the service entrance to open Switchboard electrically operated breakers that are connecting the PV arrays to the main building switchboard. In this case I have two arrays connected to a switchboard using two power circuit breakers.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
I don't see how you could claim that depressing the estop PB is the same as turning a switch.
[/QUOTE]

Valid Point, I would need to specify an NEC compliant switch; doing a quick Google, looks like the major manufacturers do make them

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Probably one of those AHJ questions to install what they want.

I personally don't see the difference between an E-stop to kill the main on the main service, and to do the same thing on the PV system; but the fact they specifically worded it to "turn" makes me leary.

The only thing I can think of is that a pushbutton is not inherently obvious that it has been pushed from a distance, or it could be pushed in, then pulled back out. A turned switch to off position is very obvious and verifiable.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Probably one of those AHJ questions to install what they want.

I personally don't see the difference between an E-stop to kill the main on the main service, and to do the same thing on the PV system; but the fact they specifically worded it to "turn" makes me leary.

The only thing I can think of is that a pushbutton is not inherently obvious that it has been pushed from a distance, or it could be pushed in, then pulled back out. A turned switch to off position is very obvious and verifiable.
I doubt they actually thought it out that far.

My opinion is that a shunt trip breaker for this kind of application introduces an additional hazard in the event of fire. What happens if the fire destroys the power supply being used for the shunt trip/ Then you push the PB or turn the switch and nothing happens.

paulengr

I doubt they actually thought it out that far.

My opinion is that a shunt trip breaker for this kind of application introduces an additional hazard in the event of fire. What happens if the fire destroys the power supply being used for the shunt trip/ Then you push the PB or turn the switch and nothing happens.

UV trip, too. Problem solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.