Re-Certifying UL Rating

Status
Not open for further replies.

designer82

I'm working on a RV park project that has around 72 pedestals. The owner made some modifications to feeder wiring/load centers but no changes to the pedestals themselves (which are UL rated).

The poco, in order to finish approval of this project, has made the owner obtain re-certification of the UL label of the pedestals (because they are very old now?)

Anyone have experience with this or how to go about getting it re-certified?

Thanks

topgone

I'm working on a RV park project that has around 72 pedestals. The owner made some modifications to feeder wiring/load centers but no changes to the pedestals themselves (which are UL rated).

The poco, in order to finish approval of this project, has made the owner obtain re-certification of the UL label of the pedestals (because they are very old now?)

Anyone have experience with this or how to go about getting it re-certified?

Thanks

Please clarify what was "modified"? Is it punching holes on the panels or what? Here's a link of a web article that I found, Hope that helps.
Neither UL nor Square D can state the modifications “void” the UL Mark, nor can either organization determine compliance to the UL safety standards, without evaluating the modification for compliance to the specific UL requirements.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As topgone asked what was the modification? A few years ago I was involved with a UL re-certification of 720 panels in an apartment building.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If there were no mods done to the pedestals, age would have nothing to do with it. BUT, if in making modifications to the service /wiring, the owner has now increased the available fault current, that could trigger a requirement to demonstrate that the existing equipment is suitable for use. More details about what was done are necessary.

designer82

I actually don't exactly know what he changed. I was hired to do a feeder/breaker voltage drop/sizing calculation which I did.

He is now asking for additional service to perform UL re-certification of the pedestals (bc that is what the poco is requiring).

He thought it would be as simple as the engineer going out there and giving the thumbs up, haha.

So maybe we can just assume he demo'd and installed new feeders to the pedestals and he replaced the service Switch Board breakers with new breakers.
In this case, how can a UL re-certification be properly performed?

Thank You

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
UL will do anything you can describe on the back of a big enough check...

But it that’s the real issue. Last time I had to have UL do a field evaluation, it was $20,000 plus travel expenses from the nearest UL office with a qualified person (because UL does a lot more than electrical). He may not understand that aspect. What the utility is REALLY saying is that they want him to put in new pedestals... because they know that will be cheaper for him.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
UL will do anything you can describe on the back of a big enough check...

But it that’s the real issue. Last time I had to have UL do a field evaluation, it was $20,000 plus travel expenses from the nearest UL office with a qualified person (because UL does a lot more than electrical). He may not understand that aspect. What the utility is REALLY saying is that they want him to put in new pedestals... because they know that will be cheaper for him.

yup. i had a NRTL lab come out and certify a canadian conveyor installed in so calif.
the cost was much cheaper than UL, at $6,825, for one day consisting of four hours onsite time.
total cost with a pre certification visit, was $9,300 all inclusive.

with strange stuff, the pre certification consultation is important, and make
sure that the fellow doing the pre cert is the one doing the cert.

just having a $10k guy show up cold with a clipboard and a whistle will turn out poorly.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
On mine, it was a 600HP soft starter that shipped from the factory without a label applied. It WAS UL listed, just a QC issue on the labeling. The UL inspector poked around inside for about 3 hours, looking up the part numbers on all sort of random components. In the end he applied the label, turned to me and said "So what is this thing, a DC drive or something?"

Status
Not open for further replies.