Re wiring flood damaged homes New Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an electrical contractor in New Jersey. I have a couple of jobs rewiring the first floor of some flood damaged homes. Many people are concerned that if we rewire with NM romex, they may be in the same position in the future. If there are no junction boxes or splices in the crawl spaces NM should be OK right? Can I run UF from panel into crawl space then up into wall box? From there I would be able to transition to NM romex. I would greatly appreciate some opinions on this situation. Thank you.

jumper

Here is a link that describes NEMA advice for flood damaged equipment and wiring.

http://www.nema.org/Standards/Pages/Evaluating-Water-Damaged-Electrical-Equipment.aspx

From the link:

Provides advice on the safe handling of electrical equipment that has been exposed to water. Outlines items that will require complete replacement or that can be reconditioned by a trained professional. Equipment covered includes electrical distribution equipment, motor circuits, power equipment, transformers, wire, cable and flexible cords, wiring devices, GFCIs and surge protectors, lighting fixtures and ballasts, motors and electronic products.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Centralia Washington had major flooding in Dec 2007. When the wiring (romex) for one of the businesses was replaced, they located the switches and receptacles 5 feet from the floor to avoid replacing the wiring in the next flood. They also moved their generator to the roof.
And yes it does not meet ADA, but its a critical business to the community, so I am guessing they got by with that reason.

Attachments

• High Switches.jpg
    High Switches.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 0

jumper

Centralia Washington had major flooding in Dec 2007. When the wiring (romex) for one of the businesses was replaced, they located the switches and receptacles 5 feet from the floor to avoid replacing the wiring in the next flood. They also moved their generator to the roof.
And yes it does not meet ADA, but its a critical business to the community, so I am guessing they got by with that reason.

A standard door is 6'8", those devices look like they are six feet up. If so, that is really high.

Status
Not open for further replies.