REALLY don't feel like digging for yard lighting question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Thinking about going LV for a friends landscape lighting. But if I go 120v, rather than digging 12" (gfci) or 18"... Am I correct to say (speaking pvc conduit) that if it is above ground it "just" need to be supported??
Lets say as in the blocks that are put on flat roofs ..... what if I were to lay 4 in. x 8 in. x 16 in. Solid Concrete Blocks and secure pvc to them.. Legal ???

If so, what if I then covered it with mulch..... still legal ??

Thank you

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Any allowed outdoor conduit that is above ground just needs to be properly supported and not subject to physical damage. I have run PVC conduit on both chain link fence with zip-ties and fastened to pressure-treated 2x4 stakes on the edges of residential properties about 12" above ground. This is high enough that a lawn mower won't hit it. Each situation is different and you have to be aware of the possible sources of physical damage. Obviously, near the ground won't fly if there will be traffic from off-road vehicles or pedestrians.

Covered with mulch or anything else puts it underground and then burial rules apply.

Rigid conduit only requires 6" burial. 1/2" is easy to bend with a hand bender and you can use threadless compression connectors and couplings. I do this for most of my underground work. Much less trenching.

Last edited:

ritelec

Any allowed outdoor conduit that is above ground just needs to be properly supported and not subject to physical damage. I have run PVC conduit on both chain link fence with zip-ties and fastened to pressure-treated 2x4 stakes on the edges of residential properties about 12" above ground.

what if someone brought in 13" of mulch ??? :- )

ritelec

Would it still be 13" if you stepped on it? And would it stay put if there's a big wind? If so, then yes, that would be buried sufficiently for the 12" rule.

no no no.... if someone added 13" of mulch under your 12"afg mounted on the fence ... :- )

ritelec

I'm playing..... but what if leaves or anything covered it... is it considered buried in the "earth"
here mulch... says a covering???

not splitting hairs... ok maybe alittle..

Attachments

• mulch.jpg
    mulch.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 0

Dzboyce

Occupation
Washington 03 Electrician & plumber
Too bad you can’t get ahold of a vibratory plow. I’ve got an old Case mini-sneaker with an 18” blade on the vibrator. Works perfect for something like that, or lawn sprinklers. You plow it in, drive back over the slit with the wheels and it’s done.

I dint like putting pvc conduit on a fence, where it might be used as a step, and have someone’s weight on it. I’ll use rigid in that situation.

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
I thought using sched-80 was because it may be subject to physical abuse? Even with sched-80 it still needs to be correctly supported. PVC also expands/contracts quite a bit over temp swings.

Does the property already have inground sprinkler system?

LV w/ all LED lighting is best option imho (I find the 3700-4K light color is best). Many LV led lawn lights run on DC, so I use switching DC power supplies (compact and efficient) to power 4 zones (about 60w each). These 4 zones each are PWM controlled and thus I can set "scenes" using wifi app on my phone. And, no 120vac to worry about getting damaged.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I dislike low-voltage landscape lighting, but I also dislike wiring line-voltage landscape lighting. :(

A great tool for something like that is the brown bed edger (or similar). I have one. There are different rotors available but I usually use a 1" which is perfect for up to 3/4 PVC /RGS/IMC. Super low impact. Goes 7-9 inches deep depending on the machine and rotor, so not code for PVC but fine for metal. We did laid thousands of feet of PVC with that machine for a landscape lighting project. Honestly, if it was for a friend, I would just use PVC :angel:

Attachments

• edger.jpg
    edger.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 2

ritelec

A great tool for something like that is the brown bed edger (or similar). I have one. There are different rotors available but I usually use a 1" which is perfect for up to 3/4 PVC /RGS/IMC. Super low impact. Goes 7-9 inches deep depending on the machine and rotor, so not code for PVC but fine for metal. We did laid thousands of feet of PVC with that machine for a landscape lighting project. Honestly, if it was for a friend, I would just use PVC :angel:

thank you.... didn't know of such a thing

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
Any suggested ground fixtures that weather the storm??? seams to me they ALL rot out, rust, corrode,,,,

Powder coated aluminum seem to last some time. Plastics seem to break too fast. All depends on the environment, like if they might be subject to salts, or always wet, or extreme weather. Believe it or not, the lights I am using now are Better Home & Garden from Walmart. They are taking the abuse from sunlight. Not sure how they would do in say a new england seaside area. They make stainless fixtures if needed, just have a fat wallet ready.

LED is the way to go. Although I like the color of halogen, their MTBF is way too short. In terms of color, I find the more neutral white is better, around that 3700-4K area. The BH&G LED's seem to be right about 4K, maybe a smidge under.

Status
Not open for further replies.