[Really need help and advice]PE exam preparation-part 1.1 measurement and Instuction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I am a graduate electrical engineer in CA and I prepare to take PE exam next year. I know it is not so easy to pass the PE exam, so I want to ask your advice and prepare PE exam step by step.

Based on the content of PE exam.
The content of 1.1 measurement and instruction is as follows:
1.1.1 Instrument transformers
1.1.2 Wattmeters
1.1.3 VOM metering
1.1.4 Insulation testing
1.1.5 Ground resistance testing

I want to start this part first. May you provide some reference for this five topic? Because it covers six questions in the PE exam, I want to assign my time to study it and read relevant books during my free time at the weekend.

In fact, as I am a new electrical engineer. I really want to ask your experienced engineers' advice. I have worked in an engineering consulting firm about two months. I have made site surveys and go back to design electrical power plan, lighting plan, title 24 calculation, single line diagram and panel schedule. I always take a lot of pictures about transformer, wattmeter, I found that it is not enough to only know the simple principle. I still have a lot of things to learn. I will really appreciate you, if you can share your PE exam preparation experience.

Thanks a lot!

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Hi guys,

I am a graduate electrical engineer in CA and I prepare to take PE exam next year. I know it is not so easy to pass the PE exam, so I want to ask your advice and prepare PE exam step by step.

Based on the content of PE exam.
The content of 1.1 measurement and instruction is as follows:
1.1.1 Instrument transformers
1.1.2 Wattmeters
1.1.3 VOM metering
1.1.4 Insulation testing
1.1.5 Ground resistance testing

I want to start this part first. May you provide some reference for this five topic? Because it covers six questions in the PE exam, I want to assign my time to study it and read relevant books during my free time at the weekend.

In fact, as I am a new electrical engineer. I really want to ask your experienced engineers' advice. I have worked in an engineering consulting firm about two months. I have made site surveys and go back to design electrical power plan, lighting plan, title 24 calculation, single line diagram and panel schedule. I always take a lot of pictures about transformer, wattmeter, I found that it is not enough to only know the simple principle. I still have a lot of things to learn. I will really appreciate you, if you can share your PE exam preparation experience.

Thanks a lot!

David, if you mean you just got out of college, you won't be able to sit for the "PE" exam. Getting your PE in California, as in other states, is a two-part process. Your first step is going to be sitting for the Fundamentals of Engineering exam given by the NCEES. You can apply for your Engineer in Training certificate. Work in an engineering field for 6 years and then apply to take the Principles and Practices exam. Pass the law portion. Welcome to the brotherhood.

David, if you mean you just got out of college, you won't be able to sit for the "PE" exam. Getting your PE in California, as in other states, is a two-part process. Your first step is going to be sitting for the Fundamentals of Engineering exam given by the NCEES. You can apply for your Engineer in Training certificate. Work in an engineering field for 6 years and then apply to take the Principles and Practices exam. Pass the law portion. Welcome to the brotherhood.

Yeah, I have already passed FE exam. My colleague told me that in California I can take PE exam with one-year working experience. I hope I can take PE exam Oct 2017 or April 2018.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

mgookin

You already have the content area. That's the first step.
You're already evaluating the content areas.
Learn the material. Learn how they word their questions. Questions on a PE exam are much clearer than questions in school. Don't get lazy when I say this, but as long as you keep doing what you're doing, you're going to pass. Find practice test questions and do as many as you can find.

pv_n00b

I recommend you attend a PE exam prep course. There are almost always some available in an area with enough engineers. They are intense but do the job. Other than that get a good PE prep book, or two. Frankly if you try to read a reference book on every study area it will be overkill.

Status
Not open for further replies.