receptacle above ceilings

Status
Not open for further replies.

barclayd

Exactly what it says, and no where does it "specifically" mention "above ceilings". If this were the intent the CMP needs to add some wording to "specifically" address this.

Do I get to be included in the excluded group now? :D

Roger

Maybe - we'll see.

Give me ONE possible example of a 400.7 sub-section that might be able to overide a 400.8 sub-section using the "Unless specifically permitted " preamble.
Just ONE - then maybe I can understand to what "Unless specifically permitted " refers.

ONE (otherwise - have a slightly above average thanksgiving)
db

Barclay
I think Bob and Roger tried to explain the wording to you...but maybe you did not understand them.

Let me see if I can help.

Flexible cords and cables are located in Chapter 4. Chapter 4 is titled:
Equipment for General Use

Wiring methods are found in Chapter 3.
The NEC recently moved flexible cords and cables into Chapter 4 specifically because they are not wiring methods.

400.7 does provide 10 conditions as to how flexible cords and cables can be installed. Notice, those 10 conditions are fairly restrictive.

400.8 provides 7 conditions of restriction for flexible cords and cables, these restrictions are fairly restrictive as to the use of installation.

"Unless specifically permitted in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the following."

Not one of the conditions provided in 400.7 specifically states that the cords can be installed in the drop/suspended ceilings.
Therefore, the restriction provided in 400.8 is what we will install to.

In general, remember that flexible cords and cables are not wiring methods.

Maybe - we'll see.

Give me ONE possible example of a 400.7 sub-section that might be able to overide a 400.8 sub-section using the "Unless specifically permitted " preamble.
Just ONE - then maybe I can understand to what "Unless specifically permitted " refers.

ONE (otherwise - have a slightly above average thanksgiving)
db

400.8(1) says that flexible cords and cables cannot be used for fixed wiring methods.

400.7(2) says that wiring of luminaires is permitted with flexible cords and cables.
410.14 provides us with direction to 410.30 as to the permitted use of cords for the installation of luminaires.

barclayd

400.8(1) says that flexible cords and cables cannot be used for fixed wiring methods.

400.7(2) says that wiring of luminaires is permitted with flexible cords and cables.
410.14 provides us with direction to 410.30 as to the permitted use of cords for the installation of luminaires.

I don't follow the 410.14 & 30 reference - 410.62 maybe?
It allows flexible cords, but they have to have a plug - that would not be a 'fixed' wiring method. I think that scenario would be more appropriate for 400.7(A)(10), rather than (2).

If the "Unless blah blah blah ..." section of 400.8 does not apply to anything, why is it there?

Nice try, though. Have a pretty good thanksgiving.

db

barclayd

Have a wonderful thanksgiving

Have a wonderful thanksgiving

I'd like to keep going with this, but they just told us we could go home early.

Anyway - a Little Giant condensate pump plugged in to an above ceiling receptacle is a pretty minor offense compared to a lot of stuff around here.

This was fun, but, I gotta go.

HAVE A GREAT THANKSGIVING - EVERYONE

db

mattsilkwood

a Little Giant condensate pump plugged in to an above ceiling receptacle is a pretty minor offense compared to a lot of stuff

db

i agree. i dont really see it as a major deal but it is something i see alot. i see alot for hvac but the biggest thing i see is for security cameras/monitors.

raider1

Staff member
The problem with flexible cord is that it tends to deteriorate over time and become brittle. The damage would go undetected if the flexible cord is installed where it is not visable such as above a suspended ceiling. After time the covering could flake off exposing the conductors inside and could result in a failure of the flexible cord. Whether or not you feel this is a minor thing the code has specifically addressed this issue with the rules in 400.8.

Chris

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Am I the only one that finds it odd that we can't make a flexible cord that will hold up over time.

It's call "planned obsolescence",How can they make a living selling cords if they never go bad ? They have to go bad or you will only buy one, everyone knows that. :D

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
They do make cords that will stand up to the time of day, but...they are very expensive as wiring methods, so the equipment manufacturer uses the cheap stuff.

Hey didn't you say they are not allowed as a wiring method ? :D:D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here's Mike's take on the subject:

1019512720_2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.