Receptacle by panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickelec

Evreytime I do a panel or a new service I put a gfci receptacle directly adjacent to it with an offset nipple or similar. I know it's code to do so but I can't recall the section is it a code to have it by the panel for service for some reason I'm thinking of gfcis required in non finished rooms? I can't pin point anything else

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

nickelec

2008 NEC here . For some reason I'm just thinking that we put it right by the panel because it's the easiest 210.8 (a) (5)? I can't think of anything that would require an outlet by the panel I have gotten so used to doing it and never really knew why I'm thinking it's to satisfy the above section I probably got called on it once and jsut made it a standard

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
You need to have a receptacle within 25 feet of HACR equipment, and one is required in an unfinished basement. I don't know of anywhere in the Code that requires one near panels. I do this same practice because it's convenient during the building or remodel rough-in phase to have a receptacle or two on a dedicated circuit right off the panel so all other circuits can be either left disconnected or shut off.

nickelec

A cheap and easy place to put a receptacle and satisfy a requirement if the panel happens to be in an unfinished room of the basement as well

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you're talking about receptacles for trades during construction, I usually put a GFCI receptacle in the laundry and/or refrigerator outlet.

nickelec

If you're talking about receptacles for trades during construction, I usually put a GFCI receptacle in the laundry and/or refrigerator outlet.
Not taking about during construction, for instance I did this service and added that outlet would you say required or not?
721f2299aa7ad820ef202cd5c92742b6.jpg

GerryB

2008 NEC here . For some reason I'm just thinking that we put it right by the panel because it's the easiest 210.8 (a) (5)? I can't think of anything that would require an outlet by the panel I have gotten so used to doing it and never really knew why I'm thinking it's to satisfy the above section I probably got called on it once and jsut made it a standard

Actually what you do need is illumination 110.26(D). Within the "working space"

kwired

Electron manager
New (I think in 2014) is 210.64.

At least one 125-volt, single-phase, 15- or 20-ampere-rated receptacle outlet shall be installed within 15 m (50 ft) of the electrical service equipment.

Exception: The receptacle outlet shall not be required to be installed in one-and two-family dwellings.

Whether GFCI protection is required depends on other factors - see 210.8 for that.

Though the exception exempts one and two family dwellings - not too often do you have a condition where you won't have a requirement for at least one receptacle within 50 feet either. Exterior mounted service panel or a really large garage or really large unfinished basement area are where you might not have a receptacle within 50 feet.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The following was added in the 2014 code and modified in the 2017 edition.
(2014) 210.64 Electrical Service Areas
At least one 125-volt, single-phase, 15- or 20-ampere-rated receptacle outlet shall be installed within 15 m (50 ft) of the electrical service equipment.

Exception: The receptacle outlet shall not be required to be installed in one-and two-family dwellings.
(2017) 210.64 Electrical Service Areas.
At least one 125-volt, single phase, 15- or 20-ampere-rated receptacle outlet shall be installed in an accessible location within 7.5 m (25 ft) of the indoor
electrical service equipment. The required receptacle outlet shall be located within the same room or area as the service equipment.

Exception No. 1: The receptacle outlet shall not be required to be installed in one- and two-family dwellings.

Exception No. 2: Where the service voltage is greater than 120 volts to ground, a receptacle outlet shall not be required for services dedicated to
equipment covered in Articles 675 and 682.

gar

Occupation
EE
180521-2143 EDT

nickelec:

I suggest two, one on each phase for test purposes.

You can study problems, and help isolate where a problem is with voltage measurements at the main panel. Installing two duplex outlets, one on each phase, makes it easy to monitor voltage of each phase and the sum of the phases. With duplex outlets you have one socket for the meter, and the other half for a load (like a 1500 W heater). I have four sockets on each phase.

With these outlets there is possibly no need to remove the main panel cover to get useful information.

kwired

Electron manager
The following was added in the 2014 code and modified in the 2017 edition.

(2017) 210.64 Electrical Service Areas.
At least one 125-volt, single phase, 15- or 20-ampere-rated receptacle outlet shall be installed in an accessible location within 7.5 m (25 ft) of the indoor
electrical service equipment. The required receptacle outlet shall be located within the same room or area as the service equipment.

Exception No. 1: The receptacle outlet shall not be required to be installed in one- and two-family dwellings.

Exception No. 2: Where the service voltage is greater than 120 volts to ground, a receptacle outlet shall not be required for services dedicated to
equipment covered in Articles 675 and 682.

Glad they changed that one - 675 applies to me a lot - those are supplied with 480 volts service 99% of the time here, only 120 volt is from the control transformer and usually not enough VA to supply anything but the controls. The guys that service them almost always have a generator/welder on their service vehicles and don't need such a receptacle permanently installed anyway.

I noticed it still needs work though. As written one can read it as meaning only indoor services need the receptacle. If that is the intent there was no need for the exception 2 as those applications are outdoors anyway.

Bjenks

2017 code requires within 25' within the same room or area & added a 2nd exception.

As an Electrical Engineer who shows up to a site with a Power Quality Monitor and need to leave it on site for a week, this is a great addition to the code. Many times I have had to have an EC install a local outlet just for me to plug my meter in to.

Bjenks

This was considered good practice for many of us long before it became code ~RJ~
Yes it is good practice and when I do electrical designs for architects I always include one. Which brings up the reason for adding it. If you are bidding a project with a set of plans from an architect/MEP and there isn't an outlet in the plans (which I have seen many times); unless you need one for your own reasons I just don't see a commercial contractor being generous and installing one.

kwired

Electron manager
This was considered good practice for many of us long before it became code ~RJ~
Indoors yes. A lot of outdoor service disconnecting means that don't have a great need for a receptacle nearby, 2017 got something right. :)

Still should be design issue and not a code requirement IMO.

And this thread is a year old and got revived.

Status
Not open for further replies.