Receptacle Height in Commercial Buildings

RAKocher

Around 30 years ago I got the strong opinion that most receptacles in commercial buildings should be placed at around 4 feet off of the floor with the only exceptions being maybe common areas, lobbies, corridors, etc., but even than it depends.
I was involved in an office reno awhile back, and a furniture company did the design of several back to back cubical work stations running down the side walls of a room with the desks perpendicular to the walls. When I said that I was going to put a receptacle and a network jack on the wall above each desktop, the women whose employees were to use the room got visibly upset saying, "She doesn't want to see that stuff next to these new desks!" Each desk also had a pedestal file cabinet on the wall side, and when I told her that I can't put them down there, because you wouldn't be able to open the drawers with things plugged in, she left in a huff, and I did what I said I was going to do.
With no nest of cords, cables and receptacle strips getting kicked around at everyone's feet, It actually turned out to be one of nicest, neatest work areas the company had!
I still see brand new buildings with receptacles and network jacks underneath permanent countertops, desks fastened to the wall and behind office furnishings. Is this ever going to change or maybe I'm I just seeing the wrong buildings?

HEYDOG

Around 30 years ago I got the strong opinion that most receptacles in commercial buildings should be placed at around 4 feet off of the floor with the only exceptions being maybe common areas, lobbies, corridors, etc., but even than it depends.
I was involved in an office reno awhile back, and a furniture company did the design of several back to back cubical work stations running down the side walls of a room with the desks perpendicular to the walls. When I said that I was going to put a receptacle and a network jack on the wall above each desktop, the women whose employees were to use the room got visibly upset saying, "She doesn't want to see that stuff next to these new desks!" Each desk also had a pedestal file cabinet on the wall side, and when I told her that I can't put them down there, because you wouldn't be able to open the drawers with things plugged in, she left in a huff, and I did what I said I was going to do.
With no nest of cords, cables and receptacle strips getting kicked around at everyone's feet, It actually turned out to be one of nicest, neatest work areas the company had!
I still see brand new buildings with receptacles and network jacks underneath permanent countertops, desks fastened to the wall and behind office furnishings. Is this ever going to change or maybe I'm I just seeing the wrong buildings?
There is not a one size fits all. Why would we want another code rule telling us that receptacles have to be a certain height depending on the occupancy. I would think that the Electrical Contractor and the Building Tenant could figure out the best heights depending on what is being installed. IMO not necessary!

RAKocher

There is not a one size fits all. Why would we want another code rule telling us that receptacles have to be a certain height depending on the occupancy. I would think that the Electrical Contractor and the Building Tenant could figure out the best heights depending on what is being installed. IMO not necessary!
I'm not suggesting a code rule, but just someone, the GC, the architect, interior designer or it could be the EC to make plugging in more practical.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Not going to change because the designers want the cords hidden.

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Normally what I have seen on drawings is your legend on the first page of your electrical plans depicting all your symbols and what they refer to. for example next to your D.R. symbol, it will state - 18" to center U.O.N. (unless otherwise noted) This eliminates the question on what height the duplex receptacle is mounted at. If it doesn't have a height requirement after the symbol, that particular duplex will be installed at 18" to center. The same would apply to switches and other equipment.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
When I renovated my house back in NJ, I put at least 1 duplex outlet just below desk height. This is where the soldering iron gets plugged in, without draping a cord across my work area from a higher outlet. Same for the phone jack (back when phones had cords).

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
Hopefully it says that, but there's also 18" AFF (above floor finish) and then they don't tell you just how thick the finish will be (could be 1/8" tile or 1" carpet+pad).

The usual height used to be the length of my hammer :ROFLMAO: .
That's why it's important to look at the finish schedule and it should show what flooring and dimensions are to be installed in all rooms. Hammer height has been the standard for resi work for years. Just make sure your helpers have the same size hammers! It looks really bad if you don't catch that! LOL

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

How does locating the jacks and receptacles above the work surfaces alleviate that problem?

I've done it both ways and I can tell you that either you have to look at the mess or it's under the desk or counter where you can't see it. The biggest reason for the mess is because of IT people and employees installing the equipment. There actually have been lawsuits because employees have become entangled in the rat's nest under their desk and fallen when they went to get up.

Personally, I would vote for under the desk anytime. No reason it can't be done neatly and it's out of sight.

So if you're going to complain, put the blame where it belongs. On the slobs that install the equipment.

-Hal

rc/retired

Occupation
Master Electrician/Inspector retired
I inspected a builder who insisted all the switches be installed at 36" top of switches. Of course I had to ask why.
He said when you walk into a room, you don't want to look at switches.
OK. However, (there's always a however in life), when I sit down, I see switches.?
What can you say?

Ron

PaulMmn

Occupation
That's why it's important to look at the finish schedule and it should show what flooring and dimensions are to be installed in all rooms. Hammer height has been the standard for resi work for years. Just make sure your helpers have the same size hammers! It looks really bad if you don't catch that! LOL
Room-by-room isn't too bad-- it's when there are multiple hammers used in a single room!

Rick 0920

Occupation
Electrical Instructor
I don't know if they still do this or not, but when I wired Pulte homes in the early 80's, the switches were 34" to the top of box and the receptacles 14" or 15" to the top of box. I was told that Bill Pulte had a handicapped daughter and he wanted all of his homes to accommodate handicapped persons. As far as I know, residential homes do not have to comply with the ADA Act.

PaulMmn

Occupation
... As far as I know, residential homes do not have to comply with the ADA Act.
But it's smart if they do... and, building from scratch, a lot of the standards don't add cost-- but make a nice, easy-to-live-in house.
Someone once complained about the nice, sloping curb-cuts at the corners. "There are no wheelchairs here!" But how about parents with strollers, or shoppers with shopping carts-- you don't need a wheelchair to appreciate a curb cut!

RAKocher

How does locating the jacks and receptacles above the work surfaces alleviate that problem?

I've done it both ways and I can tell you that either you have to look at the mess or it's under the desk or counter where you can't see it. The biggest reason for the mess is because of IT people and employees installing the equipment. There actually have been lawsuits because employees have become entangled in the rat's nest under their desk and fallen when they went to get up.

Personally, I would vote for under the desk anytime. No reason it can't be done neatly and it's out of sight.

So if you're going to complain, put the blame where it belongs. On the slobs that install the equipment.

-Hal

There's certainly a lot of truth to what you're saying, but one thing I've learned in life is if it's hard to do, it may never get done. If there's a heat pump above the ceiling that's hard to get to, its filter may never get changed. A commercial jet once crashed killing hundreds because the jack screw that controlled the elevator was never getting greased because it's hard to get to. Cables and cords that you can reach while seated or your feet are much more likely to be attended to than ones only reachable while on your knees.

PaulMmn

Occupation
Speaking of a nest of cords on the desktop-- that's where the little round ports on the desktop are nice-- you can stuff the extra cord down below the desktop, even if both ends need to be used on the desktop. It's even nicer if you have one of those 'cord organizer baskets' below the desktop so the excess doesn't drag on the floor.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
and the receptacles 14" or 15" to the top of box.
Interesting, as that is in violation of the picture shown. Should be 15" to the bottom of the box per picture, or to the bottom receptacle of the duplex.

I did mine at 18" because I knew I would not like to bend over as much as I got older myself. ;) Why stick them down where they hurt your back to use?:unsure: